Thoughts on an HBT brewery tour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielofthedale

Reaction score
I enjoy going to the local breweries and taking the tours but by and large they here is the history of the brewery and this is where the malt goes and then we add hops then we move it over hear and add the yeast and after a few weeks we have beer. I would love a more involved tour and maybe a Q&A with a brewer. But most people are are not homebrewers and they don't care about the nitty gritty details.

So I was wondering if any of the HBT'ers would be interested in a group tour at one of the local breweries? We could get in touch with the one we want to go to and tell them we have X number of homebrewers and would like to arange a tour when a brewer is there.

I know exactly what you mean about being lumped into a group of "mugles" those non brewing folks! I want to ask the brewer a technical question about fermentation temps or grain bill makeup and everyone in the group looks at me like I'm crazy! Then my wife elbows me and says "shut up !" "These people want to get through the tour so they can drink beer."
I think a tour for avid HB'ers is a great idea. Too bad I don't know any but I know someone in my brew club does.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would be interested in this ad well. I know the owner at Burnt Hickory Brewery in Kennesaw. Let me know if there is interest.

The best way to do this is to get up with your local homebrew club. Many local pro brewers came up through the ranks of their local homebrew clubs and might still have connections (and a soft place in their heart) for their local club. It doesn't hurt to call ahead and specifically request one of the brewers conduct the tour for a homebrew club. They can usually expect and answer questions in a little more detail, but don't discount the usual tour guides at a brewery. They usually know their stuff but just don't have time to answer detailed questions on the usual tour.

I would be interested in this ad well. I know the owner at Burnt Hickory Brewery in Kennesaw. Let me know if there is interest.

Yeah, good luck with that. Scott at Burnt Hickory doesn't like to divulge much info about his brews. I guess he is afraid of someone taking his info and doing a better version of it. I attended his open house one day last year and was asking what kind of hops he likes to use there in the brewery and his reply was "different ones". Not like I was asking for his recipe or anything. I tried to ask a different question later on and he just blew me off like I was trying to give him divorce papers. He needs to learn how to be more customer friendly. As a beer manager and buyer for a large craft beer store in the Atlanta market, I will never have his brand in the store.

Back to the original topic, if you figure out which brewery you want to try to attend, let me know and I can try to reach out to the rep and see what we could put together. I have a lot of connections with Jailhouse Brewing.

Interesting perspective on Scott. My interactions with him both at the brewery and off premises has been great. I certainly can't consider him a friend though. Maybe you caught him on a bad day. Sorry you had that experience.

On a more positive note, a tour of Jailhouse could be interesting. Never been there. If you think they would be more open to questions than Scott, perhaps that could be a first try.

Hello! Hey Glock I’m sorry if you felt slighted. I’m usually dealing with bathroom lines at our open houses! But that’s no excuse... i was probably swamped with beer issues. I have no problem talking hops we use. Mostly the standards with no one hop being used by itself.

I love to talk beer.. feel free to
email me [email protected] come back. I promise i’ll be cooler. that is if the line to the bathroom isn’t backed up.
#thingstheydontshowinsamadamscommericals.

RayC you do the same.. we love home brewers here at the brewery!

Thanks, Scott. You know that I am a big fan of your brews. You might know me better as your local Joe Scarborough.

ha ha.... Joe! i would consider you a friend! i was just random googling "BHB" and found this forum. If you want to bring homebrewers up some brewday we can figure that out. With the expansion ...hopefully done... and working by Sept... we could even set up a brewday.

Let me know.

and Glock...i was thinking... really, most of our recipes are really easy to figure out... I ripped them off of Sierra Nevada! ha... JK!

Back