Tweaking the Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
Expected OG @ 60% efficiency is 1.084 with US-05 so an expected ABV of 8.7 Percent. My hop schedule below is coming out to an expected 149 IBUs

60 - 1oz Simcoe
45 - 2oz Galaxy
30 - 2oz Galaxy
45 - 1oz Citra
10 - 1oz Citra

Dry Hop - 2oz of Cascade & 1 oz Amarillo

I was thinking of mixing in .5 oz of Citra w/ .5 oz of Galaxy so each step gets a little bit of each hop but I really love the nose of Citra so figured that late additions would pay off more. Don't care too much for Simcoe nose and these galaxy hops are 1 year old so they don't have the oomph they once had.

I just mashed in so was hoping for a few tweaks before I started the boil

Thanks!

I took a break and went and cleaned up the kitchen and started a fire in the woodstove.

You've been at this for a while. You are probably boiling now.

Did you run it through Beersmith or Brewtarget or some such. Even when you are doing a heavily hopped beer, I think it worth considering balance.

What is your grain bill and how hot are you going to mash and sparge - if that is your process?

Good luck
Bill

I do very long mashes so I just started sparging. Here ya go!

mcPu7jL.png

OYgTObx.png

That's educational.

I never registered "mash-out" in my mind. I've seen the phrase, but never gave it more thought.

I mash. Then I do two sparges.

Okay..didn't get any tweaks here which is totally fine..here's the final build for this recipe.

JwwI1TW.png

I basically split it up a bit to make for more balance in timing and hop additions across the entire boil time. Thanks to dynachrome for suggesting I do more balanced additions

About 15 minutes left on the boil. The house smells amazing. Two brew-days in a row..my girlfriend is THRILLED!

Latest posts

Back