New Holland Cabin Fever Clone Request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktraver97ss

Reaction score
Its been a while since I had one, but I remember really enjoying it last winter. Does anyone have a clone recipe that I could use to base my own brown ale off of?

Im thinking about trying molasses to get that creaminess and body, anyone have this beer that could help give me some guidance?

Decided to give it a shot myself. This is the first time trying to clone a beer from scratch and would love some feedback from someone that has more experience and has had the original.

30 gallon AG Recipe

40# 2 row - 69%
6# flaked oats - 10%
5# victory - 9%
3# caramunich - 5%
2# chocolate malt - 3%
2# crystal 60L - 3%

2oz Columbus at 60min
2oz US Northern Brewer at 15
1oz willamette at whirlpool

Target OG - 1.053 at 80% efficiency (we have been hitting 84% lately:mug:)
Target FG - 1.012

SRM-21
IBU-25
ABV-5.5%

How did your clone turn out?

I had this beer for the first time and would love a recipe.

Thanks
JR

It turned out maltier, like an English Brown, than I wanted. I also think we have some issues somewhere in our process. I would expect with this much cara and flaked oat to have a beer with a heavy mouth feel and thick head. This turned out thinner bodied and the head was larger bubbles that dissipate quickly, almost no lacing. This was our fist time doing a double boil in 1 20g blichman pot and a keggle so it was a little experimentation. We only ended up with 27g in the fermentors.

Measured OG 1.060
Measured FG 1.010

Any ideas on what caused my weak head?

Thanks for the update. Sorry you weren't happy with the end result.

I'm fairly new so not much help but appreciate learning.

Thanks again.

have liked most of what New Holland brews, except for the Dragon's Milk Oak Stout, but I will chalk that up to my not being used to beers like that. just like it took me a while to get used to real beer with flavor after drinking BMC all my life.

what is there about Michigan that makes some dang tasty IPAs? NH's Mad (& Imperial) Hatter, Founders' Centennial and Bell's Two Hearted.

Lake Michigan water?

Not sure, the water is great imo, works well for most breweries around here. Really, I dont care for those IPAs much and find myself enjoying west coast stuff more, besides 3 Floyds.

shiny brand new

kind of stole it from Firefly, but they use it differently.
Mal: Kaylee, what in the sphincter of hell are you playing at? We got the primary buffer panel coming right...
Kaylee: Everything's shiny, Captain. Not to fret.​

Back