14 days of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S_carve

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Grand Cru style belgian wheat beer, i used Wyeast witbier yeast and it started off great. I used a blow off tube for the time and it worked perfectly as opposed to the ommegang clone that was all over the place. it had vigourus fermentation for the first 3 days but is still going strong at 12 days i plan on taking it the secondary on sunday which will be 14 days and im sure it slow much between now and then.

I have never had a beer have such an active fermentation for so long, is this normal? Unfortunatly I broke my hydrometer during the making of this beer so i was not able to take a reading. The recipe says OG should be around 1060 and 5.7% abv when done. It is still bubbling out the airlock at least every 30 seconds and i can see it churning in the carboy

Should I wait till it slows or just swap it over

Just give it time.

Most my beers, even my 1.050 - 1.060 beers take 10 - 14 days for the airlock to slow down to 1 bubble every 5 minutes. I usually don't pop the lid to look for krausen until then.

My Grand Cru is a little higher than yours, 1.078. I'm still getting 1 bubble a minute at day 12. I suspect its going to take close to 3 weeks to finish.

Belgian Wit yeast can go on fore evar..

Trust your hydrometer. Your krausen may never subside and you can get bubbles for some time...even though the gravity has held for three days.

i guess its just the way this yeast works, unlike my irish red that finished in 3 days

BierMuncher said:
Belgian Wit yeast can go on fore evar..

Trust your hydrometer. Your krausen may never subside and you can get bubbles for some time...even though the gravity has held for three days.
Ahh. Excellent!
I used the Wit yeast on my Ommegang clone and it is still bubbling about every 10 seconds and it is day 16. I still have krausen too. I'll give it a few more days and check the gravity.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back