What are your BEST recipes!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
Ok so I've been brewing for about two years. I've had several brews that I've thought were really good. Lately I've been less than thrilled with the batches I've brewed. Some have been better than others but I want to brew some amazing batches. It probably hasn't helped that I'm getting more picky with beers over time. I don't turn down a decent beer but for me what I previously considered a amazing beer is just ok.

My one go to recipe over time is a nice clean tasting pale ale, my favorite being Ed's Haus Ale.

So I wanna hear your absolute favorite recipes. We're talking the best of the best. The ones you'll be passing on to the grandkids.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/green-mountain-porter-ag-95295/

Pelikan's Green Mountain Porter is awesome. That beer went very quickly, and it's just me and my gf! It's a little more roasty than your average porter. I'll likely be doing it every year.

It's really nice that, every few batches, I can brew up a tried and true recipe and know that I'll have a great beer in between my personal recipes, experiments, and crazy attempts.

You might take a look in the recipes section and review the winners from last year's HBT competition in each category. And in another couple of months the winners from this year's comp will be there as well.

You might take a look in the recipes section and review the winners from last year's HBT competition in each category. And in another couple of months the winners from this year's comp will be there as well.

I always have a hard time searching because of each style being a sub forum. Is there an easy way to search for all the HBT recipes in one search?

Orlando

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/irish-red-1st-place-hbt-comp-141086/

This one is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I brewed my 3rd 5gal batch of this 2 weeks ago. I used WLP833 this time so it's my first lager too. I just finished the diacetyl rest and took a sample to measure the gravity. Very clean tasting and lots of roasty malt flavor.

Irish Red.jpg

I wrote an American Stout recipe (my wife mostly brewed it) a few months back. It is loosely based on Shakespeare from back in the day before Rogue switched to domestic specialty grains. It's a big favorite of ours and is 2/2 in competitions (first at River City Roundup, third at UMMO). We brew almost exclusively 5 gallons batches but that will be 10 next time.

I wrote an American Stout recipe (my wife mostly brewed it) a few months back. It is loosely based on Shakespeare from back in the day before Rogue switched to domestic specialty grains. It's a big favorite of ours and is 2/2 in competitions (first at River City Roundup, third at UMMO). We brew almost exclusively 5 gallons batches but that will be 10 next time.

So what do we have to do to get the recipe lol???

Also that Irish Red above looks amazing. I'm drinking a Red right now that is pretty decent although only a bit over 4 weeks old via force carb.

I suffer from lack of patience at times. The beer tends to evaporate quickly once the keg is tapped. I have had the patience to wait it out for 2 lager attempts though it wasn't easy.

So what do we have to do to get the recipe lol???

Asking works.

72% domestic two row (Briess)
8% chocolate malt 350 srm English (pretty sure I would have used Simpsons)
8% pale chocolate malt 200 srm English (eg Fawcett)
6% extra dark crystal 150 srm (I think only Simpsons makes one this dark)
4% oats (I used steel cut and gelatinized them on the stovetop, flaked would probably be fine)
2% roasted barley 575 srm (likely simpsons too)

for an OG of 1.063

2.5 oz cascade 5.7% alpha at 60
1 oz cascade 5.6% alpha at flameout with a 20 minute hot stand (eg whirlpool)

mash
104 - 20
145 - 40
160 - 20
168 - 10

Single infusion at 150 would probably be similar.

1 ml cells per ml per degree plato of Wyeast 1056, pitch at 65 and set the temp controller at 68.

For water I had RO with enough CaCl to get to around 50 ppm Ca. My dough in pH was a touch low so I added a little bit of chalk (not more than a teaspoon).

Back