Screwed Up - How do I salvage this batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharp63

Reaction score
So for whatever reason, I tried to go by "memory" of how much water I needed to make up for what I couldn't boil (I only have a small brew pot). For some reason, I decided that number was 3 gallons and stupidly added that to my primary BEFORE I poured my wort in. Well, I ended up with at least 5.5 gallons in the bucket, maybe 6.

What can I do to salvage this or should I just let it go and have a weaker brew?

Did you pitch already? If so, there is not much you can do...what was your hydrometer reading before pitching? How far off was it?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a light bodied, lower ABV beer. I don't know why people freak at the thought of having a 3.5% beer around. I always like to have something in the lower end around. It's better at slaking your thirst after working in the summer heat and you won't feel logy after drinking a brew at lunch.

RDWHAHB, live and learn, and all that good stuff.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a light bodied, lower ABV beer. I don't know why people freak at the thought of having a 3.5% beer around. I always like to have something in the lower end around. It's better at slaking your thirst after working in the summer heat and you won't feel logy after drinking a brew at lunch.

RDWHAHB, live and learn, and all that good stuff.

I couldn't agree more. I like having a few low abv beers around. They are great for hot summer drinking and tailgating which is coming up soon. As to your batch, I don't know what you were shooting for as far as OG and what type of beer it is, but if you absolutely have to make up some gravity you can try adding some honey or extract at high ferment. When I make a honey beer I always add the honey at high ferment and they always turn out great. It ferments out very dry and usually doesn't affect the body too much while adding a great boost to the abv.

How should you go about adding extract? Do you just dump it in? Does it need stirred? I've never really touched a beer during it's most active fermentation, so I'm not sure what to do here.

I'll probably just let it be but I'd like to know for future reference.

How should you go about adding extract? Do you just dump it in? Does it need stirred? I've never really touched a beer during it's most active fermentation, so I'm not sure what to do here.

I'll probably just let it be but I'd like to know for future reference.

Do it just like a starter just boil it in some water cool and toss it in. It really not the end of the world that the beer will be a little lighter than was planned.

Latest posts

Back