Tortilla Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
DSCF7571.jpg

Home in Disarray: Tortilla Soup

You had my interest piqued with Biscotti.

Now, you are risking the use of the "M" word.

Ummmm, that being Monteray Jack. Of course.

You had my interest piqued with Biscotti.

Now, you are risking the use of the "M" word.

Ummmm, that being Monteray Jack. Of course.

Is it weird that I dislike Monterrey Jack? I think it's useless in most cases. Cheddar tends to have more flavor and you don't need to keep an extra type of cheese in the fridge.

I love Tortilla soup! I usually put the tortilla strips in first and then ladle the soup over them...then sour cream, scallions, and grated cheese. But that's just because that's the way I made it first. I used to work at TGI Fridays way back when everything was made from scratch and I was the soup/sauce/broiler guy for years...they had a Tortilla Soup from scratch at one time. Then they went to spice packs later and it's all boil-n-bags now.:(

I also love Monterey Jack...one of my very favorite cheeses. Most of my Mexican dishes use Jack and I don't mix it with Colby/Cheddar...just straight Jack. I like the mellow flavor and creaminess.

Is it weird that I dislike Monterrey Jack? I think it's useless in most cases. Cheddar tends to have more flavor and you don't need to keep an extra type of cheese in the fridge.

Monterrey Jack is like the only cheese I do like. That and provalone. I don't like cheese. But no, it's not weird, most cheese lovers totally turn up their noses at good ol' MJ.

My roommate made some Tortilla Soup and it was amazing. She didn't make it quite like that but it was awesome, and I want some now.

Laurel,
Have to say that that soup looks AWSOME! I'm going to cook that for Mrs. Jass very soon. (mouth watering).

Thanks for sharing your cooking techniques. This won't be the first tip/recipe gleaned from Home in Disarray.:mug:

Laurel,
Have to say that that soup looks AWSOME! I'm going to cook that for Mrs. Jass very soon. (mouth watering).

Thanks for sharing your cooking techniques. This won't be the first tip/recipe gleaned from Home in Disarray.:mug:

What else did you find that you liked?

I used to beat my hamburger patties to death before cooking them. I think you mentioned to lightly press them together. Made a huge difference. There are others, but that came immediately to mind.

You've also dropped some info about bread making(along with some other posters). I thought I knew how to cook until I visited a beer brewing site.:cross:

Ah. Well I'm glad that some of the stuff that I've picked up over the last several years has helped!

Back