California Common (steam beer) Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly7552

Reaction score
I've been fermenting a california common beer (otherwise known as a steam beer) for about 11 days. The fermentation went well, but other beers have cleared their krausen after about 10 days. This beer has a weird krausen with foam above the beer and some foam below the beer. fermentation has slowed to a crawl and the krausen is staying put.

Is this normal for steam beers? My inituition is to get a hydrometer reading and bottle it close to terminal gravity.

Comments?

-Bill

its normal i have had alot of steam beers that fermented for 2 weeks
the bulk was done in the first few day but it was not over for 2 weeks.

thay will really get going too, a blow off tube or beer glass over the carboy is a must that will blow airlock off left and right

oh and what is the temp ? it should be on the cool side and that will make all chemical reactions take longer

Yup, it's sitting in a dark space in my dining room in Northern California about 70 degrees.

So clayton, does the kausen clear, or do you bottle it with this weird leftover krausen?

Latest posts

Back