Commercial Sour Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been trying to find commercial examples of a sour that are available in MA. Anyone know of one? I really want to give one a try but haven't been able to find one.

Thanks!

I see Lindemann's lambics pretty widely available, but I wouldn't want that to be your first experience. It is back-sweetened and like nasty sodapop.
Look for Duchess du Bourgogne. I have had several of theirs and liked them all, but had to go to some fairly pricey bottle shops to get it.
It still doesn't hold a candle to the ones my club produces, though.
Sour beer is inherently difficult to distribute commercially. It is best done in small batches and frequently re-blended to produce the right flavor.
Sorry for the bad news. I hope you find several opportunities to try different stuff. Don't try one and assume that it is similar to what is out there. There is a huge range of flavors and styles of sour beers. It is almost as complex and varied as the non-sour side of things.
Good Hunting :mug:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've wanted to try something different and innoculate some bugs. I figure that I better give a few commercial examples a try first though. Wouldn't want to go through the process to find out that I don't like it.

I've been wondering the same thing. I always check the higher end places that have a good selection (world market, total wine, other liquor stores). So far, I've only been able to find Lindemann's, which I find tastes more like than soda than beer.

Look for Rodenbach (especially the Grand Cru) comma Lindeman's Cuvee Rene (an actual Gueuze) comma Cantillon comma Hansens comma Boon comma most of the stuff from Liefman's comma any Berliner Weisse comma most of the stuff from Jolly Pumkin. There are a few out there you just have to look in the right place.

From the New Belgium Brewery here in Fort Collins they have La Folie, but its a special release and I'm not sure where other than here you can find it. But if you can, its yummy and sour.

Latest posts

Back