Gravity Calculation for Raspberry Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

explosivebeer

Reaction score
I've looked around HBT and elsewhere but have yet to find any information about what sort of gravity a can of Oregon Fruit Products Red Raspberries in Heavy Syrup adds to a beer. I partigyled a lighter beer (OG 1.046) from a Belgian Dark Strong batch, fermented it a couple days, then added one 15-oz can of these raspberries. The gravity is down at 1.009. It's not vitally important that I know the exact gravity, but I'd like to have an idea how much fermentables a can of these raspberries adds to a batch. Any ideas?

Here's a link to the Amazon page for them: Oregon Fruit Red Raspberries in Syrup, 15-Ounce Cans (Pack of 8): Amazon.com: Grocery

Last edited by a moderator:
did you actually buy the pack of 8? measure out 8oz and pour it into half a gallon of water. measure gravity. you can add that number to beersmith. anytime you see a number for potential like 1.036 for 2row that number means 1lb of grain in 1 gallon of water. let us know what you get, that's a good number to know!

Most of the sugar in that product is in the syrup. Just look at the total servings and the carbohydrates per serving. That gives you the grams of sugar per can.

did you actually buy the pack of 8? measure out 8oz and pour it into half a gallon of water. measure gravity. you can add that number to beersmith. anytime you see a number for potential like 1.036 for 2row that number means 1lb of grain in 1 gallon of water. let us know what you get, that's a good number to know!

I just picked up two cans and used one in that beer. I probably wouldn't sacrifice one just to know for myself. But I might sacrifice the other can if other people can use that info as well.

Most of the sugar in that product is in the syrup. Just look at the total servings and the carbohydrates per serving. That gives you the grams of sugar per can.

This was more along the lines of what I'd hoped would be possible to calculate the sugar added. The total carbs per serving is 30g, with sugars constituting 22g of those. There are about 3 servings per can. So should I just convert 66g of sugar into lbs? If so, Google tells me that 66 grams = 0.146 lbs.

Back