Roasted Barley (unmalted) vs Black Roasted Barley Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imp81318

Reaction score
I am trying to buy ingredients to brew a recipe from a reputable online retailer to ensure that I get high quality fresh ingredients for comparison against the same recipe brewed with ingredients purchased from my LHBS to see if there are any noticeable differences, but my LHBS sells "Black Roasted Barley (unmalted) and the online retailer (www.austinhomebrew.com) sells "Black Roasted Barley Malt". The recipe only calls for "Roasted Barley". This is an extract recipe with specialty steeping grains for an irish stout. Are these the same thing/interchangeable?

Roasted Barley is unmalted. It sounds like Austin Homebrew is referring to Black Malt, which is malted before roasting. There's a definite difference in flavor. Both can be used in various stouts and porters, but for a traditional Irish Stout, you definitely want the unmalted Roasted Barley.

Actually, now that I look at AHS's website, it looks like it's roasted barley and not black patent malt. They shouldn't call it a "malt" because it's not malted.

Actually, now that I look at AHS's website, it looks like it's roasted barley and not black patent malt. They shouldn't call it a "malt" because it's not malted.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too... It seems like they refer to all of their grains as 'malt'.

Back