Midwest cyber Tuesday Wine Kit Sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
Most of you probably saw the Midwest Cyber Monday sale. It has been extended on Tuesday. The coastal red and white kits are BOGO. However if you call in and place your order rather than online you can buy a red and get a white.

Just a FYI

I ordered my kits Friday online and received them this afternoon. I had written in the comment section of the order that I would prefer a red and white kit. I was not really expecting them to allow substitutions. So I was very surprised to see both coastal red and white in my order!

I ordered my two kits on Monday should receive them next week. Have you guys used these kits before? This is my first try with kit wines. I have done a one gallon grape juice wine a while ago and it turned out good except for the fizz, didn't degas. I have read the instructions for these kit's, I am little confused, they say to cover the primary with lid. When I did my grape juice wine I did research and the consensus was to keep the fermenter open to let in oxygen to help the yeast. If anyone has used these kits before what was your procedure?

junior said:
I ordered my two kits on Monday should receive them next week. Have you guys used these kits before? This is my first try with kit wines. I have done a one gallon grape juice wine a while ago and it turned out good except for the fizz, didn't degas. I have read the instructions for these kit's, I am little confused, they say to cover the primary with lid. When I did my grape juice wine I did research and the consensus was to keep the fermenter open to let in oxygen to help the yeast. If anyone has used these kits before what was your procedure?

With juice, I cover the primary with a lid. Fermenting fruit or grapes on skin, I cover the primary with a towel.

I have decided to aerate with 02 and use a lid and airlock to primary. I plan to stir for the first two days, would it hurt to use the 02 for the first tow days when I open to stir? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have decided to aerate with 02 and use a lid and airlock to primary. I plan to stir for the first two days, would it hurt to use the 02 for the first tow days when I open to stir? Any advice would be appreciated.

What would the advantage be to using o2 for the two days? I don't get that.

What would the advantage be to using o2 for the two days? I don't get that.

I figured since some people prefer to ferment with an open fermenter to encourage infusion of oxygen, I prefer to use a closed fermentation, so if I infuse 02 it would offset the lack of oxygen issue versus the open/closed techniques people use. Am I wrong in my assumptions? Thank's for the help!

These two kits will be my first experience with wines as well. I am finding some differences in brewing beer vs making wine.
With brewing beer, you boil the wort driving off the dissolved oxygen. That is why you need to aerate the wort. When making wine, there is no boiling, so the water and juices are pretty well aerated to start. The stirring over the first few days should be plenty.
Please, someone with more experience correct me if I am wrong.

These two kits will be my first experience with wines as well. I am finding some differences in brewing beer vs making wine.
With brewing beer, you boil the wort driving off the dissolved oxygen. That is why you need to aerate the wort. When making wine, there is no boiling, so the water and juices are pretty well aerated to start. The stirring over the first few days should be plenty.
Please, someone with more experience correct me if I am wrong.

No boiling to drive off oxygen is correct, but it seems to me reading posts that there is still a debate on closed vs open fermentation. Some folks saying you need to leave primary fermentation open to let in oxygen, I myself would rather keep my fermentor closed for various reasons, so I figured to eliminate the lack of oxygen issue with closed fermentation, aeration would be a good solution.

junior said:
No boiling to drive off oxygen is correct, but it seems to me reading posts that there is still a debate on closed vs open fermentation. Some folks saying you need to leave primary fermentation open to let in oxygen, I myself would rather keep my fermentor closed for various reasons, so I figured to eliminate the lack of oxygen issue with closed fermentation, aeration would be a good solution.

Open vs closed fermentation for wine depends on some factors.

Some yeasts and wine fermented on fruit needs the head space in an open fermentation. I still cover with either a towel or lid.

I just did a Reisling from juice. The fermentation did not foam at all, if it was airlocked, it would have been just fine.

I ordered the red and white coastal as well from them. Just got them today...less than a week delivery..nice. I have seen countless youtube vids..and none of them say anything about using 02 or covering with wine. You want to keep the 02 out of these premade juice kits. The directions are there so there are no missteps by novices like me...I did find that the dvd they sent wasn't very good, but there are plenty of vids out there..just youtube the term 'wine kit' good luck

Back