Can't get Grolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knittycat

Reaction score
Yes my friends, short of a 2ish hour drive to the nearest big liquor store in the nearest big city...I can't get Grolsch beer. I asked at my local liquor store, and they said they used to carry it and would be happy to order me a case. I came back the following week, and they said they couldn't get it in! Their distributors couldn't get it in! WOW!

Well, at 16 dollars for 12 + gas vs 28 dollars for 12 + shipping...No, I think it's still cheaper to buy the beer. Especially if I wait for the Mr. to be down that way working and I send him on an errand to buy it while he's in town.

If you time the shipping right and order other stuff, some sites would be free. I couldn't drive 2 hours round trip anywhere for less than the price of shipping right now, but of you can, that's something to take advantage of.

Alas, 2 hours round trip for the sake of bottles is out of my budget. Unfortunetly, since that's out of my budget, so is ordering other stuff to go with the bottles, which means so are the bottles.
I will very likely never be able to order 200 dollars worth of stuff in one go. Everything I buy will of necessity be gotten piece by piece.
So, if the Mr has a job in the town where the beer is, he'll be bringing back beer.

See if you can find a restaurant or bar that sell the stuff. Years ago my BIL worked at Mader's (a really good German restaurant in Milwaukee) and gave me 2+ cases worth of Grolsch bottles.

No luck there either. There is only one German restaurant "nearby" and it's only 4 miles closer to me than Angleton. Also, it doesn't sell grolsch. But they do sell Celebrator. mmmmmm dopplebock.

Some of the better bars are willing to save these for homebrewers, but I assume if your local store ain't carrying them, that your local bars don't either.

I'm giving away 100 grolsch bottles, but I am way too far away to make that work for you, I'm afraid.

You could always try Craigslist. Grolsch beer is really terrible, but the bottles are great.

I'm giving away 100 grolsch bottles, but I am way too far away to make that work for you, I'm afraid.

You could always try Craigslist. Grolsch beer is really terrible, but the bottles are great.

I'll take 'em! Let's see at 28mpg, factoring in the distance between central California and upper Michigan and taking into account the price of gas, price per bottle is looking like...:eek:

No, no, on second thought I will also pass on these!

Unibrow said:
Wtf!? This can't be the same yooper who has helped me so much on these boards

Don't push it buddy. She still has blood on her talons from earlier today.
:D

Grolsch isn't so bad in my opinion.

I don't think Grolsch is that bad either. It's not great, but not bad. Kind of like an American Lager, except in a swingtop.

Of my swingtops, I have mostly grolsch bottles, but I tried a german beer called Moosbacher that also came in swingtops. The moosbacher bottles were brown and 16.9oz instead of 15.2. Beer wasn't great, but it was OK, and I thought the bottles were nicer.

So if you're Mr. is going all the way to the city for swingtop bottles, then I would ask him to look at what other's are available, possibly in brown bottles.

I also refuse to order bottles, mostly b/c my SWMBO does not approve of me buying empty bottles. So poor me has to get all the beer out of them before I can use them for homebrew.:D

Y'all are crazy! Next time any of you are in Amsterdam, try a Grolsch and then let me know what you think.

Maybe it's because I spent a college semester in The Netherlands, but I think Grolsch is about the best European lager out there besides Pilsner Urkel

urkel.gif

You can also check on Fischer bottles, which are like Grolsch bottles, but brown instead of green. However, I think they're going to be even harder to come by.

The Fischer bottles are great but the rubber gaskets seem to be welded to the plastic part of the flip top (the old ceramic ones are great if you can find them). If you want to replace the gaskets you need to order new tops (not too expensive and can be bought in a numbr of home brew supply web sites).

I guess I'm lucky to be in VT where we have a bottle return law. Whenever I return cans etc for the deposit, I check out the "stash" at the redemption center to see if there are any flip tops. I've managed to get quite a few by just trading my cans or bottles for theirs.:ban:

The thing about swing tops is the ceramic tops break, the gaskets start to leak, and the bales stretch out.

Its like owning a Ferarri...super cool, but expensive to maintain.

Is there a reason you can't just get crown cap bottles and just cap them? Caps are cheap, and a bench capper only runs about $34

I hope I don't get blasted by the admins for posting this link, but I got this deal in my email today: https://tippr.com/offer/promotion-f...-diego&providerid=&utm_medium=email&provider=
It's $50 in liquor for $25. I did see Grolsh on their beer list. Shipping to Cali was about $15, so the cost was about $40 total for $50 in beer, not too bad, but doubt I'll do it. It might be good for your specific needs though, since you won't have to worry about driving anywhere...THAT IS unless you're in a state that doesn't allow shipping. It says which ones they can't ship to on the details. Hope this helps.

The Fischer bottles are great but the rubber gaskets seem to be welded to the plastic part of the flip top (the old ceramic ones are great if you can find them). If you want to replace the gaskets you need to order new tops (not too expensive and can be bought in a numbr of home brew supply web sites).

This is true, you do have to use new tops with the Fischer bottles.

Back