Made Starter but Can't Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So, I made up a starter the other night intending on brewing today. Circumstances have since prevented my being able to brew. I will not have a chance to brew for another 2 weeks :mad: .

So, can I let the starter ferment out and just throw it in the fridge, then decant the wort and make a new starter in a few weeks?

TheJadedDog said:
So, I made up a starter the other night intending on brewing today. Circumstances have since prevented my being able to brew. I will not have a chance to brew for another 2 weeks :mad: .

So, can I let the starter ferment out and just throw it in the fridge, then decant the wort and make a new starter in a few weeks?
Happened to me a month or so ago. I just let it sit on a shelf in my basement, much like you'd do with a primary fermenter.

No need to chill in my opinion. Just toss it in when your ready.

I'd put it in the fridge. By keeping it in the fridge, the yeast will drop out of suspension and you can easily decant off the beer and pitch new wort on it.

That happened to me last weekend. I ended up doing a step-up, whatever the term is (boiled up some more DME and added it to get the yeast to reproduce), let it sit for a couple days, then chilled it to get everything to drop. Didn't chill it until about 48 hours before pitching, didn't have a lot of extra room in the fridge. Then, since it was chilled, I could decant off the nasty starter-beer and not lose much yeast.

Back