brewing in the basement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barside laundry

Reaction score
I have been making for about 3 years and I always brew outside. My basement appears to perfect for brewing as I have a sink, gas hook up, nice counters. So am I looking for advice about actually brewing in the basement. I cannot take my propane bottle down there (that just seems wrong), what about electric heating elements? What about tapping into my house's gas line (which I installed) and use a natural gas burner? Ventilation?

Thanks

barside laundry said:
I have been making for about 3 years and I always brew outside. My basement appears to perfect for brewing as I have a sink, gas hook up, nice counters. So am I looking for advice about actually brewing in the basement. I cannot take my propane bottle down there (that just seems wrong), what about electric heating elements? What about tapping into my house's gas line (which I installed) and use a natural gas burner? Ventilation?

Thanks
The biggest thing I'd worry about is ventilation. As you brew, CO is being produced, and CO sinks (heavier than air). As you are already in the basement, where's it going to sink to? If you can properly vent the area you are brewing in, you may be OK, but high BTU burners are just not meant to be used indoors. To me it's an unacceptable risk.

Yes, Propane burner indoors=trouble.
I have worked out a compromise to brew outdoors but still have all the conveniences of my kitchen. I have taken over a corner of my basement where I have my worktable, racks and fridge. Right next to my area is door to my backyard. I set up my burner outside the door along with a smaller folding table and chair. Do all my prep work in the basement, then go outside to brew :D The only thing I do in my kitchen is steep my specialty grains and I'm looking for a small electric burner that I can use downstairs so I may never have to come back up again. My wife would love that :D :D

That sounds like my setup. All my equipment is in the basement, right by the door to the back yard. On the other side of the door is a washtub for the laundry area. It's really convinient to just carry everything right out the door, set up, and brew. Clean up is easy too with the oversize washtub/sink.

Latest posts

Back