1st Wheat Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopperfirestarter

Reaction score
Im thinking of brewing my first wheat beer this weekend. Im playing around with a grain bill of something like this. Is there any reason why I should or shouldnt have Flaked Corn in a Wheat recipe? Any hops suggestions?

4lbs American Two-row Pale
4lbs Wheat Malt
8oz Flaked Wheat
8oz Honey Malt
8oz Flaked Corn (Maize)

I'd say keep it simple for your first recipe, ditch the flaked stuff and honey malt. Wheat beers are usually a showcase for the wheat and yeast flavors. Hops will depend on what yeast you're gonna use, if you're trying to make something German/Belgian I'd say use noble-type hops, if you're making an American wheat, use American hops.

^^^^^

This....and not just because he is from CO and we have the best brewers in the country! Do keep it simple....half wheat/half pils/noble hops for a german.....half wheat/half 2 row/centennials for an Am wheat

riverfrontbrewer said:
^^^^^

This....and not just because he is from CO and we have the best brewers in the country! Do keep it simple....half wheat/half pils/noble hops for a german.....half wheat/half 2 row/centennials for an Am wheat

I agree with this. Wheat beers, which is one of my favorites, should be kept pretty simple. Half wheat, half Pils, and Hellertau hops.

Back