The Homebrewed Chef - recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
I finally got around to listening to The Homebrewed Chef on The Brewing Network. I really dig the show. I love to cook, and this podcast mixes elements of cooking, brewing and pairing at a pretty high level.

Just wanted to share one of the recipes I made from the extra content on the show.

Grand Cru Braised Lamb Shanks
Served with Dried Fig & Winter Spice Sauce over Potato Parsnip Puree

Man, was this freaking delicious! The lamb was absolutely perfect. I opted to braise in my LeCruset enameled cast iron in the oven at around 300 instead of the crock pot. To finish, I chopped up some dill and sprinkled it over which added a fun element to the dish.

The Potato Parsnip puree goes great with the Lamb. I don't have a ricer, so I sent it through the sausage grinder attachment on my Kitchen Aid. It worked OK, but next time I'd just hit it with my emulsion blender.

The meal went great with Chimay Blue and Ommegang Abbey Ale (which I bought because its a few bucks cheaper than Chimay)

I hear nothing but great stuff about Sean Paxton's cooking. Unfortuneately, I have not been lucky enough to sample it. He does the meals for the awards banquet at NHC, but I'm missing this year again. Rumor has it though, it may be in the East coast in 2012.

Yea, I'd really love to get the chance to have one of his dinners. His recipes are the next best thing though, and this one really is a home run. Its quite honestly one of the best meals I've ever cooked.

This thread just makes me want to go to the 2011 NHC that much more.

I need to try this, I've only made braised lamb shank once and it was just OK (it was essentially osso bucco but with lamb shank). I'm need to find good lamb recipes because whenever I get lamb at a good restaurant I almost always really enjoy it.

Anybody tried makin' BBQ with the Chocolate Ancho Rub or the Stout BBQ sauce or the Red Eye Imperial Stout BBQ sauce?

I'm taking some Q to a homebrew club party so wanted to make a BBQ sauce that had beer in it. The chocolate ancho rub caught my attention because I was going to use homebrewed Breakfast Stout (chocolate/coffee) in those BBQ sauces (I'll prob just make both sauces).

This will be for a boston butt.

FWIW, neither sauce was bad but neither was that good imo. I ended up mixing them 50:50 with Cattlemans and preferred the Stout BBQ sauce when mixed. The rub was good but I'm very inexperienced with rubs (isn't pretty much anything good when rubbed on smoked pork butt?).

Back