Not necessarily moving to secondary but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleHoudini

Reaction score
So when i started brewing, I read some of the books out there and basically came to the conclusion that i should ferment in primary for a week, then rack into secondary and let it sit there for..well...however long.

now after reading master revvys posts, ive learned that the newer belief is long primary and no secondary.

right now, i have(i believe) a very promising sweet stout in my primary which doubles as my mash tun(idk if this is stupid or not, but its worked out well for me so far) and its been in there for about 5 days. I have a better bottle thats being completely unused right now so what Id like to do, is not necessarily "rack" from primary to secondary, but just transfer everything in my bucket(primary), to my carboy. including everything that has settled on the bottom.

I would assume that everything would just settle again and there wouldnt be a problem but Im not sure. which is why im asking you guys.

like i said, my "primary" is a bucket with a spigot and a locking top with a hole for a fermentation lock. when i originally bought all my brewing equipment, the only top they had was for this bucket so thats why i use the mash tun(minus the bucket with the holes drilled in the bottom) as a fermenter.

sorry for the long post. i hope this made sense

Don't move it until you've reached terminal gravity, once your gravity readings are the same 3 days in a row you can rack it to another vessel. Otherwise you risk having a stuck fermentation.

Well, first of all I think fermenting in the MLT is a bad idea. Not because of the spigot, but because grain is loaded with lactobacillus and it would be difficult to sanitize it well enough each time especially with the spigot. You want to keep grain and grain containers FAR away from your fermenters.

For the next part, you can't really transfer without racking. You can't pour it because you don't want to aerate the beer once fermentation has begun. So, yes, you'd rack it if you're transferring it.

I would wait until fermentation is finished up (it should be any time now) and rack it to a carboy or BB. And then never again use a MLT for a fermenter. Just buy another ale pale- they're like $15 or so.

Back