Beers in the EU not in the states

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBrewer

Reaction score
So my sister is heading to Europe for 10 days and I wanted to know if there were any good brews exclusive to that area that dont typically make it across the pond without expensive shipping. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Awesome trip! I have shipped many awesome brews back in my checked baggage ... Europe is a huge and very diverse place when it comes to beer. Which countries is she visiting? Which cities?

I know shes going to both England and France - so I'd imagine London and Paris - I feel like there is one other major country/city - what would you recommend I have her look for?

There are litteraly a gazillion breweries there. I know in Germany each town or region will have it's own brewery that distributes to the bars in the area.

France, I would have her look for local brews in the "Bieres De Garde" style. In some places in the US you can get "3 Monts," probably the most famous of this French style; but if it were me... well, there are a few unusual brews there that probably can be found in Paris. The Bourganel produces beers with unusual ingredients; such as chestnuts and nougat "Au Nougat" and "Aux Marrons." There are many, many Framboise choices as well. When I travel, I really just look for labels that I have never seen in the states, key in on words like "Abbey" and "Cuvee" and the "Biere de Garde" (farmhouse) wording. These days with the internets it is possible to do a bit more research. London, the UK, well I have only been there twice and both times went pub hopping. Most of my travels have been to Germany, France, and the Czech Republic. Does she need someoen to carry her luggage? :)

oh man i just went london, dublin and edinburgh.. asking which brews are there and not in US is like asking what bands are popular there and not here.. i mean it's endless. most pubs in london have plenty ales on cask and all of which are local to that side of the world.

so there really is no answer, every bar you go into will have stuff you can't get here..

I am sure there are a ton to drink whilst there I'm looking more for bottles that I could convince her to bring back

Back