Experimental Extract Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scientist83

Reaction score
Hey Lads and Lassies,

Thought I would throw this out there. I was looking to brew a higher alcohol content brew. I like to feel like a cheap date, but unfortunately (or fortunately, if you prefer) my alcohol tolerance is a bit on the high side. So, I set out on a scientific journey to use a genetically modified yeast strain, that is actually able to not only survive in a SLIGHTLY higher ethanol environment, but is actually more efficient at glucose utilization. From this, I thought that since I was already toying with nature, I would play the rest of this experimental brew safe. I decided to use 6lbs of DME and 2oz (total) Amarillo Hops. Anyhow, the whole reaction, was actually visible within 10 minutes, causing my airlock to go a little nutty. Of course, I have not ruled out the idea of a contamination, but would see what others thought about this whole process. As is our hobby, I'm always trying something new and looking for advice on how to improve!!

more info, please. what yeast strain(s) are you modifing? how are you modifying? how much volume of wort are you adding 6lbs of DME? what was OG and how much change are you seeing over time? show us some stats!

Did you use Turbo Yeast? I made some (relatively) flavourless alcohol using the stuff but I'd never trust a batch of beer to it.

Have you thought of making a 6%-ish hefeweizen? I don't have an abnormally high alcohol tolerance but I spiked a Festa Brew kit with some honey and got a 5.7% ABV Wheat Beer that puts me in my happy place after a 6-pack ha ha. Tastes great too! The higher ABV isn't noticeable at all, and with an orange wedge it makes what I consider to be a very drinkable all-night brew.

more info, please. what yeast strain(s) are you modifing? how are you modifying? how much volume of wort are you adding 6lbs of DME? what was OG and how much change are you seeing over time? show us some stats!

To begin, I used S. cerevisae, and used commercially produced strain VIN13. Next, cross-bred with constitutive yeast PGK1 promoters and terminators. I was allowed from my employer using my own money (boo) to do a Nothern blot which showed an incorporation of the ATF1 gene (or Alcohol Acetyltransferase gene). Anyhow, I'd love to take full credit for this, but it was based off a article written in the Journal of Applied and Environmental Microbiology. They used this to over-express alcohol and the esters for "fruity" flavors. Hence, why I was a little reluctant to mess around with the flavor a ton this time around.

Here are the other stats:
Volume wort: 3 gallons
the OG is written down at home (I'm still at work), so I will get that for all of you once I'm there.

Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Back