thoughts on Deschutes Abyss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope it turns out, I have a 2009-2013 vertical my friends and I are going to share over the holidays. I'd love to clone it well too and lay it down for a while.

Cherry bark 2oz
1388898212819.jpg

Vanilla beans. 25oz
1388898285415.jpg

Burbon soaked oak cubes
1388898351362.jpg

Added it all to a dry hop bag and steamed it.
1388898470966.jpg

Hit target FG 1.018! So 9.6% abv. Not as bitter as the abyss, but the sample is very solid and has high hopes. Can't wait to try it in a week or two on the goodies.
1388898661431.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Home Brew mobile app

Looking good. If the bitterness doesn't meet expectations you could always whip up a small hop tea.

I think it's more of a roast dark grain bitterness not hop bitterness

Bottled it today will keep everyone posted with how it turns out here in a month or so when I open one. Even reused a real abyss bottle :)

1389488816130.jpg

Some how i have managed to keep my hands off it and I have not opened one yet, maybe this weekend I might risk one.

Okay... Color is cloned! Taste is missing some roast toasty bitter, this is my first Stout so I'm not sure how much but I Will be adding more on my next attempt. Maybe 6 or 8 Oz of combination of roasted barley and black maybe some chocolate. There is a bit of alcohol in the taste but with the age and abv that is expected I think. Smells like chocolate vinalla caramel maybe a hint of Burbon. In a month or so I will do a side by side and get some better notes. Will have a few people taste with me. Maybe in a few weeks I can do some Homebrew trades with anyone who is following this thread and wanting to help clone this beast a d can provide with some more feedback. Even with as young as it is I can tell its a solid Stout and I will try to make it again with a few recipe tweaks. Anyway that's it I guess sorry for the ramble.

1390620658901.jpg

Let me know as well. I have some Abyss to do a side by side with and would love to help out.

Did you attempt to get any wine flavor in there? I know that they age at least some of it in wine barrels and I didn't see you mention it.

So how long in total did it spend on the wood and vanilla? I'm thinking about taking a crack at this soon and aging until next winter.

It sat one week on the oak and other goodies. I didn't try to add wine, next time I might toss a tsp or 2 in the bottling bucket.

I'll try one tomorrow and post what I think version 2 of the recipe will be

This is my favorite beer and I'm going to try to clone it as well. It's $15 a bottle here in KC so it's worth a shot getting close. Your links are dead on your blog page for version one and version two.

Thanks for the work you've done to get this far. I'll brew it up and trade you a few bottles of version one to version two.

This is my favorite beer and I'm going to try to clone it as well. It's $15 a bottle here in KC so it's worth a shot getting close. Your links are dead on your blog page for version one and version two.

Thanks for the work you've done to get this far. I'll brew it up and trade you a few bottles of version one to version two.

$15/bottle is $2 less than they charge at the brewery. You're getting a deal.

I used his second version to make a clone this winter with a few minor changes (I soaked some oak chips in bourbon and some in wine). We tried it against Abyss yesterday and we couldn't tell a distinct difference. Most people liked mine a little better because the hops weren't quite as pronounced so you could pick out the flavors (oak, licorice, vanilla) better. I do brew-in-a-bag and my final S.G was low so I did need to use DME to bump up the gravity. It turned out really good.

Might be a little late for those of you who brewed this 10 years ago, I recently discovered they use Trappist yeast. All the recipes I see around trying to clone this use ale yeast, so this is bound to create a much different profile.

Back