refrigerator temperature controller.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
My dad redid his kitchen and he's letting me have his old fridge. In the future, I'd like to lager with it, but for now I would like to use it for an ale fermentation chamber. I don't have a/c, so my beers have been getting up to 74/76° F
Can someone give me some advice on how to keep a fridge around 68-70 on a budget? I'm living with my wife and 8 month old son along with 3 mooching grown adults so my budget is kinda limited.
Thanks and cheers!

Ok I'll shop around. Thanks!
Is it possible to keep the fridge at fermentation temp and the freezer at regular fridge temp, for beers that are ready to drink?

I have had a Johnson a419 and they work great, but last year at NHC (seattle) I discovered Control Products. They have the TC-9102D model

http://www.openboxsavings.net/products/b0057apr3i-5

I believe I paid $60.00 for it.

It is a dual stage relay, which means it can both Heat and Cool using the same temp sensor and everything.

I like the red LED which allows you to easily see the temp in the dark if needed.

The nice thing over the Johnson is that you don't need to disassemble it to change jumpers when taking one of the relays from Heating mode to cooling mode, it's all done via the LED and push button interface.

I bought a Johnson controller.... Now I regret it. I'll sell you my analog one cheap, so that I can build myself another one of these:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

I built it and loved it, total price was around $35, digital does heating and cooling, and will keep it within .1 degrees celcius.

The only problem is that ... its in celcius, which is not really that big of a problem

(Note: I regret the price of the Johnson controller, because it was expensive and for the price of it, I felt that it was lacking. Also being able to do both hot and cold is nice, but it doesn't provide that)

I went the STC-1000 route. I am very satisfied with the results so far. It has hit and remained at whatever temp I have selected during the testing phase and it is fermenting a 5 gallon batch at 58 Degrees right now. Dont know about the freezer.frtidge spilt though because they use a common refrigerant system and compressor so the differential wont be very large if any.

Wheelchair Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.pexsupply.com/Johnson-Co...age-Digital-Temperature-Control-120-240v-SPDT

I got this one for 55 bucks shipped from ebay a few months ago, some drop cord from work, and a Hubbell marine plug. The wiring is straight-forward and easy (I am an electronics tech, so it was easy for me). If you want to go a step up, you can get a dual stage controller for warm and cold. I am happy with my single for now though.

Seems easy and affordable enough.
Thank you for the video link. I was lost until I watched that one.

I just built one a couple of weeks ago. Sourced a STC1000 and box on Amazon for abt. $30 (incl. kind of expensive shipping) and duplex receptacle, cover plate and extension cord at the hardware store for abt. $10. Running a minifridge I got from CL for $20, so I am all in around $60.

Follow the build instructions in the above referenced threads. There are also several others if you search.

I've read a million different opinions but where do you guys like to put the temperature probe, and do you set the temp at the temp you want, or do you need to set it a couple degrees lower?

I shouldn't have problems lagering with this system right?

I've read a million different opinions but where do you guys like to put the temperature probe, and do you set the temp at the temp you want, or do you need to set it a couple degrees lower?

I shouldn't have problems lagering with this system right?

I've always taped the sensor to the bucket and insulate (bubble wrap) over it. Works great and requires little extra effort. I set the target temp about 0.2*C under where I want to ferment (w/ a tolerance of +/-0.5*C) at the time.

You can cold crash and lager just fine so long as the fridge you are using will go down to 34-35*F. Most will. No worries if using a freezer. Always set the fridge/freezer thermostat all the way cold and let the STC-1000 regulate the temp.

Have the same situation as the OP. My first batch (Kolsch) is currently fermenting at 78 degrees. My basement isn't as cool as I thought and the recent heat wave isn't helping! I have an extra fridge and was considering buying the Johnson Controls temperature controller so I can ferment at or below 70 degrees, but was wondering if anyone thinks these devices will cause damage to the fridge? It's essentially like plugging and unplugging the fridge many times per day, which cannot possibly be good for the fridge components long term?

Have the same situation as the OP. My first batch (Kolsch) is currently fermenting at 78 degrees. My basement isn't as cool as I thought and the recent heat wave isn't helping! I have an extra fridge and was considering buying the Johnson Controls temperature controller so I can ferment at or below 70 degrees, but was wondering if anyone thinks these devices will cause damage to the fridge? It's essentially like plugging and unplugging the fridge many times per day, which cannot possibly be good for the fridge components long term?

Refrigerator compressors turn on and off via a relay just like in the Johnson controller, not sure about the other electronics, which is a valid concern.

I have a johnson controller but replaced it with a control products controller, http://www.amazon.com/Control-Products-TC-9102D-HV-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0057APR3I

I think you can find them cheaper, but they are dual stage, so they will control a heat source and a cold source at the same time, plus the red LED makes it easy to read, especially in a dark basement.

To change the Johnson controller from heating to cooling you must open the case and phsically move a jumper. The control products controller does it all with software/firmware. No jumpers, it's all in the programmable menu.

I'm using a dual stage controller, because I ferment in an uninsulated garage. In the summer I have to cool more often, in the winter, heat. Because the probe is secured to the side of the fermenter, the temp swings are very slow, even with large differences between ambient temp and fridge temp. It actually cycles less often than my house fridge because of this, and because I seldom open the door. I've used the same fridge for years.

Refrigerator compressors turn on and off via a relay just like in the Johnson controller, not sure about the other electronics, which is a valid concern.

I have a johnson controller but replaced it with a control products controller, http://www.amazon.com/Control-Products-TC-9102D-HV-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0057APR3I

I think you can find them cheaper, but they are dual stage, so they will control a heat source and a cold source at the same time, plus the red LED makes it easy to read, especially in a dark basement.

To change the Johnson controller from heating to cooling you must open the case and phsically move a jumper. The control products controller does it all with software/firmware. No jumpers, it's all in the programmable menu.

Or you can use an STC-1000 and have to controller choose cool or heat automatically as needed. :D

I also say use the STC-1000 if you feel comfortable with the wiring. It's pretty straight forward. I bought one on amazon for $18 about 6 weeks ago. It doesn't hurt the fridge to use a controller to cycle power. The STC has a compressor surge timer built in that keeps the compressor from cycling back on too quick. That's the only way you will damage one is if you cycle it while it still has high pressure.

I know this thread is ancient, however I wanted to mention another option. As discussed previously, the Johnson controller essentially "unplugs" the entire fridge many times per day. This could be an issue on merchandizer fridges since many of these use an evaporator cooler fan to circulate air in the fridge itself. Unplugging the whole fridge will shut off the evap cooler fan unless it is wired in separately.

You could always purchase an in-place digital controller as a replacement for your analog one. If there is room, this seems like a more "permanent" way to make the upgrade. It's also affordable:

http://www.zoro.com/i/G4262562/?utm...ai-rTuCUgvQ2Ka28aEdlItDnEc9gKosLnJBoCrN3w_wcB

There are various types of these controllers on the market.

Back