after yeast wash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweez

Reaction score
I washed my yeast about 2 weeks ago. I followed Billy Brews video on how to do it. I ended up with 4 pint jars (like his instructions) and each jar has about a 1/4 inch yeast cake, about 25 ml I'm guessing.

How much should I use on my upcoming 10 gallon batch of my dead ringer ipa 1.064 target s.g.?

On Mr Malty it suggests to use 282 ml of yeast. Does he mean 1/2 a pint of a yeast cake from washed yeast? Thats more then all 4 of my jars combined.

I am planning on doing a starter with this washed yeast.

Should I use 2 jars or 1? Should I do a 1L starter or 2L?

The yeast I am using is WLP 001 california ale yeast.

Thanks.

Use Yeastcalc for the estimated amount of rinsed yeast and starter size required. It is likely you will want to decant your pint jars and use all of the yeast. You may be able to brew this weekend if you have a stir plate to make your starter. Intermittent shaking method, next weekend.
http://yeastcalc.com/

hmm, cant find the info on yeast calc. there is 37 ml of yeast in a white labs vial. i would assume that 2 jars, with a 2L starter would be plenty. Bernie Brew says in his post on yeast washing stickie on page 5 says that he does a 1.5L starter with on jar for 10 gallon batch.

I washed my yeast about 2 weeks ago. I followed Billy Brews video on how to do it. I ended up with 4 pint jars (like his instructions) and each jar has about a 1/4 inch yeast cake, about 25 ml I'm guessing.

How much should I use on my upcoming 10 gallon batch of my dead ringer ipa 1.064 target s.g.?

On Mr Malty it suggests to use 282 ml of yeast. Does he mean 1/2 a pint of a yeast cake from washed yeast? Thats more then all 4 of my jars combined.

I am planning on doing a starter with this washed yeast.

Should I use 2 jars or 1? Should I do a 1L starter or 2L?

The yeast I am using is WLP 001 california ale yeast.

Thanks.

Here is my take on this one:
You are going to need about 450Bn cells for your 10g brew.
My estimate that each of those 25ml batches will have around 75bn cells maximum.
If you input 75bn and the date you harvested them into YeastCalc it estimates about 69bn viable cells. 2L starter on stir-plate will yield around 255Bn cells. Decant and add another 2L wort and back on the stir-plate will end up with around 519bn.
Given the likelihood of being a little generous with the original estimate of 75bn you will not be over-pitching and likely be near the recommended pitching rate.

Back