Carbdrops Carbtabs question/thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
I can see why if some one were going to try this, they would probaly just go back to using corn sugar to carbonate, but has anyone ever thought of crushing these tablets up to help with the dissolving process in the beer? It would also eliminate having those little pieces floating in your finished beer that just wouldn't dissolve. I have only done two batches of beer the first one using muntons and the second one just now being in the fermentor. The muntons did great but I did have the floaties in my beer. I have a kegging setup but Im not sure quite yet if I have learned enough about it to go that route. I haven't yet used corn sugar but I don't like all the stories I hear about uneven carbonation and over carbonation/bottle bombs since you can't regulate how much of the sugar is going into each bottle. thanks for thoughts and info.

I don't like all the stories I hear about uneven carbonation and over carbonation/bottle bombs since you can't regulate how much of the sugar is going into each bottle.

Fact is, Corn sugar priming at a rate of 1 oz per gallon (3/4 Cup in 5 gallon batch) is Standard Practice for hundreds of thousands of gallons of beer. Do not be scared off by the one or two stories you hear about where people don't follow normal procedure (or abandon procedure all together and just do what ever strikes them at the moment) scare you off of tried and true beer making methods. This fear is as baseless as deciding you are not going to use a lid and air lock because you saw a picture of an exploded fermentor that someone decided not to use a blow off hose for.

Take A Deep Breath....Repeat after me:

My Beer will Be Fine.
I will Prime With Corn Sugar.
I will dissolve it in 1/4 cup of boiling water, and then rack my beer onto the sugar solution.
I will gently give my beer a stir to ensure proper sugar distribution in the beer.
I will Bottle Normally.
I will be a better brewer for it.

Aighty then, I'll use corn sugar if I do bottle, hopefully I'll be prepared to keg this batch once I air test the corny to make sure its ok. But I still have alot to learn about kegging if I am to go that route next week.

If your fermentation is completly finished and you have no infections and you prime with the correct amount of sugar, you'll have zero bottle bombs.

Even if you keg, there will be brews you'll want to bottle.

Take A Deep Breath....Repeat after me:

My Beer will Be Fine.
I will Prime With Corn Sugar.
I will dissolve it in 1/4 cup of boiling water, and then rack my beer onto the sugar solution.
I will gently give my beer a stir to ensure proper sugar distribution in the beer.
I will Bottle Normally.
I will be a better brewer for it.

And keep repeating it.

Back