Good Eats: Amber Waves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has watched the episode of food channel's Good Eats called Amber Waves. Its about Making beer and its quite informative, even for an intermediate brewer. The host really gets into the science of homebrewing, etc. He even explains how mashing works in a simple way for us All Extract types. Its a good show to watch either for fun or for that boost in inspiration to brew some beer. Its available off of BitTorrent in a few places. I have a copy of it i captured off of my Tivo, I hope that its legal to say this... If any one wants me to send it to them...

He gets his terms mixed up on the show, but it promotes the hobby so what do i care. I really enjoy Good eats and i have seen him do multiple shows on the same topic, i hope a second homebrew show is in the future.

Yes I saw that episode and I agree he did skip over a few things and I would have done it differently but all in all it was a good show.
Like it has been said he promoted the hobby. And Alton usually does an overall good show.:tank:

I try to catch that show as often as possible, its so interesting seeing the reasons why food cook and taste the way they do. Sadly i missed that episode, a couple of my buddies told me it was a really interesting episode, heres hoping for a rerun...

There is an older and longer thread about this episode on this board.

But this episode got my brewing hobby kick-started as well. Yes, I boiled the grains and burned the malt to the pot. Now I kow how to to it right :) . But what I like about Alton is, that he promotes local brewing shops and NOT Mr Beer/Beermachine.

Kai

That's the ep that got me into home brewing. I started with extract, but used many of his techniques that applied.
Thanks for the avi. SWMBO recorded over my tape with the CMA's. Talk about a disgrace.

SkewedAle said:
Again, i don't know if this is legal or not, and I'm even a Telecommunications student...

I can tell you that it is not legal ;). But I'd be the last one to get you in trouble.

Kai

I think I'll report you to the authorities, but only after I try some extortion.

Send me your beer and I'll keep my mouth shut. :)

-walker

I am a fan of the show, and that episode, like others, got me off my duff and into homebrewing. Some things he did one might not or would not do (boiling grains, for example), but he removed a lot of the mystery for me. And you folks made a lot of the rest of it much easier to comprehend. Slainte!

Just watched the episode (downloaded it from someone on a homebrewing forum... :eek: ) pretty good info, but even as a newb he did a couple things i wouldnt. still a great episode, i try to watch his show as much as i can

SkewedAle said:
I was wondering if anyone has watched the episode of food channel's Good Eats called Amber Waves. Its about Making beer and its quite informative, even for an intermediate brewer. The host really gets into the science of homebrewing, etc. He even explains how mashing works in a simple way for us All Extract types. Its a good show to watch either for fun or for that boost in inspiration to brew some beer. Its available off of BitTorrent in a few places. I have a copy of it i captured off of my Tivo, I hope that its legal to say this... If any one wants me to send it to them...

Whats wierd is that was the episode that got me into brewing. Whats weirder is that episode got ALOT of people into brewing, even though his processes was incorrect and barbaric... but you got to love Alton anyways.

Alton tought me how to make tuffles... ME -- making truffles!!!

Three cheers for Alton!

Back