Yeast taking a break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonj

Reaction score
Hey, just noticed my smaller batch of cider has decided to take a break. I've got two batches going, both started about the same time. The larger batch is bubbling away at once every few seconds and the smaller was doing the same until a few days ago when it dropped down to over a minute between bubbles. I went on the advice of my local microbrewery owner and tried repitching some yeast to see if it kicks off again. There is still very little activity and although I know it's not needed in cider but I added some nutrient to see if it would wake the yeast up... Well just looked in my logbook and it seems I didn't put any corn sugar in that batch...

Have you checked the sg on it now? If it's just apple juice it may well have finished.

I'd like to, but until I get to the homebrew store and pick up another hydrometer jar I can't test it. I knocked mine over last night and broke it :mad: You're probably right though. I'd just forgotten that I hadn't added any extra sugar doh!

Will regards to not adding any extra sugar bear in mind that straight apple juice for drinking can easily give an ABV of 5.5%. That's a pretty decent level of alcohol and it'll be ready for drinking a lot sooner than your 'big' batch. You'll have something to drink while you wait for the main one to mature!!!

Back