Please Allow Me To Reiterate How Much I Despise FedEx

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Here's a hint, you c*cksuckers: don't subcontract out your deliveries (arguably the most important part of your business) to halfwitted rednecks who make Barney Fife look like Steven Hawking.

Let's recap. First, awhile back, I had ordered some protein bars that were heat-sensitive (I paid extra for cold-paks). FedEx somehow couldn't find my house for FIVE days (even though we live in a common neighborhood that is easily found with a simple gmaps or mapquest search). It occurred to me after 4 days that it's not that they couldn't find it, as they claimed, but that I was towards the end of their daily route and they just wanted to go home early, so they just said "attempted delivery, couldn't find address" to get out of it. Ah, melty protein bars!

The next time, I sent it to my office, because, well, it's downtown, so it's more readily accessible and maybe they'd find it easier. Instead, they deliver it to the people downstairs (I'm not quite sure how you mistake suite 100 for suite 200). After calling the local FedEx manager 10 times, I find out that it was delivered down there, and went all the way back to my office to get it because there was liquid yeast in there.

Yesterday, third f*cking strike. I was on a business day trip all day, and on my way back, around 4pm, I get a call. No idea who it is at first because the guy is talking like Larry the Cable Guy with marbles in his mouth. Finally, I am able to make out "Fudix" and "can't git in yer building". I put 2 and 2 together, and tell him to go to the 2nd floor and our office is right across from the elevator---suite 200, like it says on the box. He says, "aww, yah, uhkay, I got in, thanks mang". I thought, hey, good, my hop rhizomes should be waiting for me at the office when I get back.

Are they? NO! I went around to all the other places in the building looking to see if they simply delivered to the wrong address again, but to no avail. So who knows where my package is right now!! It could be in Albuquerque for all I know!

SO: here's a great big F*CK YOU going out to FedEx, the halfwitted subcontractor delivery man that they hired, and to Midwest Supplies for not only using FedEx, but also for not giving me a goddamned tracking #.

I'm fed up with FedEx. I will hereby boycott any online shop that uses them as their primary (cheapest, etc.) shipper. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Funny thing is USPS is better, cheaper and more reliable than FedEx in Alaska. FedEx has its largest hub in Anchorage and its still the slowest most expensive place to ship anyhting.

Fedex is terrible - at work we ship all the time through USPS, UPS, FedEX, and DHL. The only time we have problems is with FedEx - they subcontract through too many different companies - in Seattle through Kinko's, which is a consumer print shop - WTF. We have promised people their product shipped overnight early AM delivery and FedEx has sent it to the wrong hub delaying the delivery by 2 days, no compensation and no apology.

Thier pilots have a sweet gig though, have to admit. So you recieved, or were supposed to recieve your shipment of rhizomes from Midwest already? I thought that they said April 1st they should get them in... sweet, maybe my (6) roots will be showing up soon. I have never had a problem with Fed Ex... maybe I get special treatment since I am also in the air transport business, and I have never seen them sub-contract. Anyone know what DHL service is like?

I just got a delivery from Fedex. Right day, early no complaints really 'cept one. I was home and guy just threw the box (or dropped it from a moderate height) on the porch and left. No knock no ring of the bell nothing. That always annoys the crap out of me. Maybe just maybe someone is home and maybe they are busy and dont' hear the sound of the delivery truck or the dropping of the box. Oh well I got my stuff so I'm happy.

DHL uses subs in their DHL marked vans. It says so on the door of the vehicle. The thing that pisses me off about them is that they drive in the HOV lane during rush hour and they do not drive properly qualified vehicles for the HOV nor do they have more than 1 person in the vehicle.

The DHL drivers all bail out of the HOV lane at a critical freeway choke point which backs up both the HOV lane and the regular lanes.

Bastards.

What end of fed-x are you talking about here? They have so many different divisions now it's hard to keep track. If you're talking about ground or home yeah, they suck. But regular fed-x is usually pretty good. If your tracking number was more than 12 digits it was ground or home.

I hate em too.All my Fedex stuff comes to me in the mail.That's right,Fedex mails my stuff to me.One of my biggest peeves is online retailers who won't use the postal service which is usually the ONLY way to ship to rural Alaska.I used to boycott any vendors who wouldn't use the USPS but it's so bad now cause EVERYONE uses UPS or Fedex...it truly sucks!

Onescalerguy said:
I hate em too.All my Fedex stuff comes to me in the mail.That's right,Fedex mails my stuff to me.One of my biggest peeves is online retailers who won't use the postal service which is usually the ONLY way to ship to rural Alaska.I used to boycott any vendors who wouldn't use the USPS but it's so bad now cause EVERYONE uses UPS or Fedex...it truly sucks!
AustinHomebrew will ship USPS now, just set the order for in-store pickup and put a note in the comments to ship USPS. They used to only ship UPS to Canada so I never ordered from them after the first time getting extorted by UPS. Now I will definitely order again after getting my USPS shipment after barely over a week from shipping.

fedup.jpg

She feels the same way .... now don't you feel better? :D

I have no idea what it says under FedUp, but I sure had fun trying to find out.

I too have had it with FedEx. Today: box arrives on second delivery attempt magically without signature. Fine. Great. Nice that it contained a $600 camera from work and I have a bunch of stoned gang banger roofers roaming around as they strip the 4 layers off the top of my apartment building. It was up against the door partially covered in cedar shake and tar globs.

Could be worse = I won't even get started on DHL. They never even get the package out of the van. Over the summer, they just stuck a note ("3rd and final attempt") on the door WHEN I WAS SITTING 10 FEET AWAY ON THE PORCH!

I like UPS. I have my own online account & just fill in the blanks on what I'm shipping and to where, print the label at home and affix it to the box. I either drop it off at a UPS store or take it to work for pickup since they're here daily.

And nobody is asking me what's in the box when shipping "live yeast samples" out :p.

I have actually had "Assemble it yourself" furniture delivered by UPS, the package weighed 90lbs, and while I was home the guy put a signature sticker on my door without ringing. I signed the thing and left directions to put it outside my back door as I wouldn't be home, the next day I got another sticker. Honestly I don't blame the guy for not wanting to drag a 90lb box around to the back of my house, but come on I had to call them and get mad, and told them to put it out back. They did get it delivered the next day, but they wound up doing the easy thing and put it on my front porch where everyone who drives by could see it. I am glad it was there when I got home as technically I "signed" for it, but I guess it being a 90lb 6 foot long package helped with it still being there as it required a "team lift" according to the stickers on the outside.

olllllo said:
DHL uses subs in their DHL marked vans. It says so on the door of the vehicle. The thing that pisses me off about them is that they drive in the HOV lane during rush hour and they do not drive properly qualified vehicles for the HOV nor do they have more than 1 person in the vehicle.
The DHL drivers all bail out of the HOV lane at a critical freeway choke point which backs up both the HOV lane and the regular lanes.
Bastards.

Do what I do, pull in front of them at speed and toss a 'D' battery out your window. 60% of the time, it works every time. ;)

When I lived in WV/MD where Fedex subcontracts = sucko. But down here they dont and are often early with deliveries. Takes all kinds I guess.

Evan! said:
I will hereby boycott any online shop that uses them as their primary (cheapest, etc.) shipper.

Free market at it's best! I've long since held that. It's a pity, on one hand, the number of reputable businesses that have lost my patronage for offering only FedEx as shipping.

Evan! said:
Instead, they deliver it to the people downstairs (I'm not quite sure how you mistake suite 100 for suite 200)

I also hate FedEx, so take this with a grain of salt... I work on the second floor, Suite 200, and suite 300 has a lawyer who constantly recieves legal docuements that are both "Urgent!" and "Confidental". Most of these require signatures before delivery occurs...

UPS, FedEx and DHL ALL leave her packages outside the building's main door. Occasionally, when it rains and there's a tropical storm advisory... And the moon is in my celestial house, they drop it in the door way so it's "only" smashed by the doors, not rained on.

FedEx sucks, but they're not alone in that regard.

Evan! said:
The next time, I sent it to my office

I used to do this but since I ship electronics as often as I ship yeast, I'm sometimes "denied" delivery by my bank, who despite adding my work as an "authorized" shipping location places fraud holds on my shipments. :( Oh, the joys of working out of state...

NWernBrewer said:
they subcontract through too many different companies - in Seattle through Kinko's, which is a consumer print shop - WTF.

FedEx bought Kinko's in 2004. Same company. FedExKinko's are as common over here as "The UPS Store".

I ordered a package of 12 IBM Server Drive trays from Oklahoma (Because IBM AUstralia insisted they did not exist. off to ebay) and I had them in under 36 hours. Oklahoma to Canberra AUS in less than 36 hours.

Let me put this in perspective. I flew from Minneapolis International airport to San francisco, then to Sydney and finally Canberra, with very little layover anywhere... took me 31 hours.

I am a fan of FedEx!!

PeteOz77 said:
I ordered a package of 12 IBM Server Drive trays from Oklahoma (Because IBM AUstralia insisted they did not exist. off to ebay) and I had them in under 36 hours. Oklahoma to Canberra AUS in less than 36 hours.

Let me put this in perspective. I flew from Minneapolis International airport to San francisco, then to Sydney and finally Canberra, with very little layover anywhere... took me 31 hours.

I am a fan of FedEx!!

I'm guessing that they don't use local yokel idiotbag subcontractors for their international freight services. :p

I don't think I've ever seen anyone with as many problems getting packages to their door as you Evan!. I think all carriers have conspired agaist you for some reason.

rdwj said:
I don't think I've ever seen anyone with as many problems getting packages to their door as you Evan!. I think all carriers have conspired agaist you for some reason.

it's Fed f*cking Ex, man, not all carriers. Oh, and USPS too. :p

If I had my way, I'd go UPS for everything. Nary a problem with them. They're even cool enough where they'll let me come pick it up at the hub rather than wait for it to be delivered.

FWIW. I recently began shipping all my "yeast samples" for beer swaps, holiday packages, etc. through an independent 'pack & ship' place (similar to a UPS Store or former MBE, but it is one store owned by one couple). Bring independent, they use UPS, FedEx and DHL - your choice.

I first used them for our last beer swap and they happened to ask, "Is there glass in this?" I told them there was and they strongly suggested using FedEx b/c, "UPS is terrible with glass packages. They break them so often that we always discourage our customers from using them if possible."

Well, it was a couple bucks more for FedEx, so I took my chances with UPS. Here's what happened!

Rhoobarb said:
FWIW. I recently began shipping all my "yeast samples" for beer swaps, holiday packages, etc. through an independent 'pack & ship' place (similar to a UPS Store or former MBE, but it is one store owned by one couple). Bring independent, they use UPS, FedEx and DHL - your choice.

I first used them for our last beer swap and they happened to ask, "Is there glass in this?" I told them there was and they strongly suggested using FedEx b/c, "UPS is terrible with glass packages. They break them so often that we always discourage our customers from using them if possible."

Well, it was a couple bucks more for FedEx, so I took my chances with UPS. Here's what happened!

I can't help but chalk that up to the packing job (no offense, rhoo): I've shipped dozens and dozens of bottles to various places, all via UPS, and not once have I had a single broken bottle. Of course, I don't mess around when it comes to packaging them. Just ask ohiobrewtus---my packages, along with the cockroaches, will be the lone survivors of the nuclear holocaust. You cant just wrap a piece of bubble wrap around the bottle and toss it into a box.

Evan! said:
I can't help but chalk that up to the packing job (no offense, rhoo): ...
No offense taken. I know it takes more than just some bubblewrap. I've shipped several beer packages before for swaps and competitions and the packing job was the same - lots of bubblewrap, styropeanuts and newspapers. First time I ever had a breakage.

TexLaw said:
I've been PO'd at FedEx ever since they marooned Tom Hanks on that deserted island. What did he ever do to deserve that?

TL

Oh no you di-int go there!

What do he do? Oh, I dunno...let me count the ways:

1. The Green Mile
  2. You've Got Mail
  3. Sleepless in Seattle
  4. The Terminal
  5. A League of Their Own
  6. Road to Perdition
  7. And let's not forget, Cast Away
:D :D

Evan! said:
Oh no you di-int go there!

What do he do? Oh, I dunno...let me count the ways:
  1. The Green Mile
  2. You've Got Mail
  3. Sleepless in Seattle
  4. The Terminal
  5. A League of Their Own
  6. Road to Perdition
  7. And let's not forget, Cast Away
:D :D

Hopefully they won't mess it up the next time I send beer to your office. I'm on the UPS blacklist ever since I told them I was sending yeast, they somehow managed to break 3 bottles of beer within 5 minutes. FedEx is my only option unless I want to drive 30+ minutes to ship something.

ohiobrewtus said:
Hopefully they won't mess it up the next time I send beer to your office. I'm on the UPS blacklist ever since I told them I was sending yeast, they somehow managed to break 3 bottles of beer within 5 minutes. FedEx is my only option unless I want to drive 30+ minutes to ship something.

Hey, it made its way here last time you sent it, so...there you go. They're not ALL bad... :D

"I hate fedex" -chalk me up! I run my own buissness. I usually work from home and I get al *lot* of stuff sent from my clients (all over europe and US) sent to my company address (my home address but with a company name). FexEx is the laziest mo***erf***ing bi**hes I've ever stumbled uppon.

They won't even bother send stuff to my company address because "it's not a company address". WTF? I run a company. It has an address and I'm there to pick up the goods my clients send me. Still it usually ends up with me doing a 1hr drive to FedEx to pick up whatever they should have delivered!

H

The one that I can't figure out is USPS............My company sends payments from Michigan to Chicago. That's a two hour drive down I-94. It takes eight days for a first-class envelope to arrive in Chicago.

On the other side of the world, an electronics guru in Australia sends me a circuit board via Australia Post. I get it in four days.:confused:

Back