FG Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdogchip

Reaction score
Feb. 06- Brewed an English Ale. OG was 1.050 at 75F.
I've had some concerns because there was no visible signs of fermentation this past week. No activity in the air lock. I was seriously considering re-pitching with new yeast.

Feb. 11- Took a gravity reading this morning, 1.020 at 72F. Due to timing, I need to bottle this on Wednesday, Feb. 13. If, on Wed. the gravity is 1.020, should I bottle, is it safe. Don't need any bottle rockets.

Thanks,
Skip

NO WAY!!! rock the fermenter up a little today (no splashing though!) and see if you can get some more yeast in suspension. 1.020 is way too high for a 1.050 brew. Heck, my 1.100 brew finished at 1.020!!!! Planning on bottling the brew after 7 days is no good... poor planning and will likely result in either bottle bombs or sweet beer from partial attenuation.

+1 on no bottling. You're asking for hand grenades if you bottle right now. I'd never plan to bottle a beer after only fermenting for 7 days. At the very minimum I'd give it 2 weeks. I normally bottle after almost a month.

What's the reason behind you needing to bottle by the 13th? If you're going on vacation or something, just leave it in the bucket. It'll be better off that way.

Back