Dumping 888 RIS Wort onto IIPA Cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Just a thought. I brewed The Destroyer of Worlds last week (fermented w/ US-05) and it's ready to be racked to secondary. landhoney and I are brewing 10 gals of the 888 Russian Imperial Stout tomorrow. Would it be a bad idea to dump a RIS onto an IIPA cake? I've never done that sequence before...

You should be fine. The key is to always go in the darker and stronger direction, when pitching on yeast cakes.
You should still calculate your pitching rate though. Go to mrmalty.com and use the calculator there.

According to Jamil Z on his show, fermenting in a high alcohol or high IBU beer wears out the yeast and you will get subpar fermentations from reuse. I understood him to mean off flavors. High IBUs in particular seem to coat the yeast with something that interferes with reproduction.

Ofcourse I sometimes get the feeling he is very anal about his yeast and sanitation. :)
So there may be little worries

Craig

What was the gravity of the I2PA? How clean did it ferment (based on what you tasted when you racked)? What was it's attenuation?

Back