the perfect brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripplehazzard

Reaction score
I need ideas for a beer. All grain please It has to ;
1. Have fast turnover time.
2. Cheap grain bill.
3. 5 gallon batch.
4. High ibu
5. high abv.
6. Make you wet in the panties.

I've got my "house" IPA that's 7.1% and around 95 IBU's. It's bittered with Warrior hops which make for a crisp clean taste and finished with Citra for a grapefruit citrus punch. An excellent brew that seems well balanced with good bitterness and an aftertaste that keeps you wanting more.

12lb 2-Row
2lb Crystal 40
1lb Unicorn Blood

1.75oz Warrior 60min
1oz Citra 20min
1oz Citra 0min

1056 American Ale Yeast (1L starter)

That's about it. Ferment it up on the colder end say, 62-64* to really bring out the citrus notes. With a starter I've gotten to FG in 3 days and had it racked to a carboy by 5 days. Left it in the secondary for another 10 days and basically had it going into the keg on that 15th day and start drinking it. Generally after a week in the keg the heaviest citrus notes mellow out and makes for an extremely drinkable beer.

So drinkable that I've done 4 batches of it now. After that first beer is gone I'm pouring a second at which point I'm thinking about a third but it hits me and the world slows down :)

I call it my NWIPA for "No Whisk" IPA after a mishap making the recipe on my very first batch (Originally as Extract). I love the stuff and will be brewing a couple more batches up this summer for sure.

2. Cheap grain bill.
3. 5 gallon batch.
4. High ibu
5. high abv.

Here's my best shot:

10 lbs. rice from Costco
150 IBUs Calypso Hops (cheapest one I can think of)
1 bottle grain alcohol
Bread Yeast

1) Mash Rice
2) Boil, Add Hops @ 60
3) Cool, top off to 5 gallons, add Yeast
4) Ferment at 100F for 24 hours
5) Add Grain Alcohol
6) And the most important step: Dump all 5 gallons onto your panties.

Mission accomplished! :drunk:

I need ideas for a beer. All grain please It has to have...
2. Cheap grain bill.

5. high abv.

IME, these tend to be mutually exclusive.

I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap.

If you can forgo the high abv [EDIT--mine tend to run around 6%--dunno if you call that high abv], I'd suggest a Saison with Wyeast3711 and citrusy hops. You can use 2-row plus about 10% wheat, and you'll have a great, easy-drinking beer. 3711 attenuates very well (1.004 or lower in many cases) so you get higher ABV w/o a huge grain bill, plus it gives a great silky mouthfeel and a hint of citrus. That with Centennial/Cascade hops is killer in the late spring & summer.

I need ideas for a beer. All grain please It has to ;
2. Cheap grain bill.
3. 5 gallon batch.
4. High ibu
5. high abv.

Really dude?
#1 is just never a good idea. period. Beer is ready when its ready, no sooner, no later.

#1 and #2 and #3 are particularly bad matches

and for that matter so are #2 and #5.

I've got my "house" IPA that's 7.1% and around 95 IBU's. It's bittered with Warrior hops which make for a crisp clean taste and finished with Citra for a grapefruit citrus punch. An excellent brew that seems well balanced with good bitterness and an aftertaste that keeps you wanting more.

12lb 2-Row
2lb Crystal 40
1lb Unicorn Blood

1.75oz Warrior 60min
1oz Citra 20min
1oz Citra 0min

1056 American Ale Yeast (1L starter)

That's about it. Ferment it up on the colder end say, 62-64* to really bring out the citrus notes. With a starter I've gotten to FG in 3 days and had it racked to a carboy by 5 days. Left it in the secondary for another 10 days and basically had it going into the keg on that 15th day and start drinking it. Generally after a week in the keg the heaviest citrus notes mellow out and makes for an extremely drinkable beer.

So drinkable that I've done 4 batches of it now. After that first beer is gone I'm pouring a second at which point I'm thinking about a third but it hits me and the world slows down :)

I call it my NWIPA for "No Whisk" IPA after a mishap making the recipe on my very first batch (Originally as Extract). I love the stuff and will be brewing a couple more batches up this summer for sure.

When did you ad the unicorn blood. Early boil late boil sounds like a recipe. I will have to say it is tough to find my lhbs doesn't have any right now.

10 lbs 2 row
.5 lb crystal 60

1 oz warrior @60
1.5 oz cascade @15
2.5 oz cascade @1

Try and get a local brew pub to give you the yeast ... something neutral .... other wise dry notty is cheap

Should be able to turn that one around pretty quick as it really is a simple grain bill ..

Good luck

Edit ... this was a 4 gallon batch ... sorry for that

You can do fast, good and cheap--lighter Hefe=low hops, small grain bill, done fast and better served fresh. The high abv, ibu, and cheap don't go well together.

I looked all over town to day for unicorn blood.. .. . Um. No one had it or had heard of it. Drove about 200 miles. Is this a special grain u have to order at a certain time of year. I love the name tho. I did find a perfect recipe tho. . 8.1abv.
64 ibu
Easy grain bill.
6 week till keg.
I didn't realize it but my family has a long history of brewing. Talked to my grandmother and she pulled out a book of old brew recipies that have been in the family, for generations. Guess ill keep the family tradition going! So stoked!

When did you ad the unicorn blood. Early boil late boil sounds like a recipe. I will have to say it is tough to find my lhbs doesn't have any right now.

I think I heard Jamil Z say that you can substitute dark candi sugar syrup for unicorn blood in a pinch. Same flavor, but you don't get the sparkles or longevity.

I looked all over town to day for unicorn blood.. .. . Um. No one had it or had heard of it. Drove about 200 miles. Is this a special grain u have to order at a certain time of year. I love the name tho. !

seriously.

Back