What type of pin lock do I have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSUinDC

Reaction score
Attached is a picture of my leaking gas connector on my keg. Took me awhile to figure out that this is the culprit.

I was on northernhomebrewer looking for a replacement, and it says that there are 3 different types of gas line post assemblies. From the pictures on the site, I can't tell whether it is Type B or Type C (pretty sure it's not Type A).

What do you think?

IMG_20120929_102724.jpg

Guitmo is right....Most likley you may even be able to remove the popit valve and take a look...my guess is the seal went or the spring is weak or deformed in some way. Look on youtube for how to clean the popits and you will be able to see how they assemble. It isn't difficult.

Ah yes, ball lock. I haven't had to pay attention to the type in awhile. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Once the QD is connected the leak won't matter. It will only matter if you want to pressurize the keg and then disconnect the QD. If you are loosing CO2 when everything is hooked up you better keep looking for the leak.

This is a helpful article with pics. Looks like a B type post. I agree with others though, I've had good luck with the universal poppets. I got a bunch so I can use interchangeably on my various keg types.

TrubDog said:
Once the QD is connected the leak won't matter. It will only matter if you want to pressurize the keg and then disconnect the QD. If you are loosing CO2 when everything is hooked up you better keep looking for the leak.

Well, you say that, but I've been chasing down a leak that has killed 2 Co2 tanks in 2 kegs, and this is the only glaring problem.

Well, you say that, but I've been chasing down a leak that has killed 2 Co2 tanks in 2 kegs, and this is the only glaring problem.

TrrubDog is right, keep looking. Once the QD is connected the poppet is pressed down to allow gas to enter the keg. It might as well not even be there. By all means replace the poppet but keep looking for the leak because that is not your culprit.

A leak on the high-pressure side of the reg is almost impossible to find with soapy water (it blows away the soapy water with no sign of bubbles).
To find those, you'll need to submerge the tank up to just the edge of the gauge.
Keep looking, it's there somewhere.

A leak on the high-pressure side of the reg is almost impossible to find with soapy water (it blows away the soapy water with no sign of bubbles).
To find those, you'll need to submerge the tank up to just the edge of the gauge.
Keep looking, it's there somewhere.

I assume submerging the regulator itself is bad for it's longevity :)

So, connect the tank to the regulator, pressurize, and put the tank into the water as well as the line (all the way up to the regulator connector) and hope that I see something?

Back