Twist off vs. Pry off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snortwheeze

Reaction score
O I really wanted to bottle this weekend, but my local bar forgot to save their pry offs! What I'm wondering is, why not twist offs? I know I've heard the glass is too thin to handle the carb, but it workforce bigger company's, why not us? It can't be just that the glass is too thin. Replies?

a typical homebrew bottle capper does not seal twists off bottles completely

I have found that a bench capper does a better job than a wing capper but ensuring a secure seal is somewhat iffy with twist offs so I don't even bother with them anymore. It's just not worth the risk of a sh**ty seal:)

I did the blue platinum bottles a month ago in a pinch but I used a bench top capper and I also forc carbonate and fill with a gun.. they work with my situation and even have a couple left..

So I filled a twist off with coke, used my wing capper and shook the H E double hockey sticks out of it! No leaks, no hissing. When I twisted it off, it came off easier then a regular twist off, but the whole goal hear is a good seal. I just really don't want to let my cider sit in the secondary any longer. I'm afraid I'm making apple wine!

How long has it been in secondary? A couple more weeks might not make any difference while you gather some decent bottles. In fact, you can sometimes get a malolactic fermentation by letting cider sit on the lees. That could be a good thing.

Been sitting in the secondary since the 31st of August.

That's only 12 days? You have a year or two for it to be "too long". It's actually about a month too early, maybe more, at this point.

No one else mentioned it, but the biggest issue with twist offs is the neck of the bottle is thinner. That works ok with a bench capper, but with a typical wing-style capper, the bottles often break just trying to get them capped.

I mentioned the thinness in my first post. Also, have capped and recapped a miller 64 bottle about 4 times since I first posted. No breaks... But I guess I'll wait till I get all my bottles.....(sigh)

I ran short of bottles and used twist offs to finish bottling. The eight twist offs are flat... no carbonation whatsoever while the rest have been perfectly carbonated. Threw away the rest of the empty twist off bottles and using the amber ale that's in the rest for beer batter

Back