Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on this! When I made this beer I was drinking it in about 3 weeks, despite it not being fully carbed (I couldn't wait!). 4 weeks and you should be good to go. BTW, I kegged my batch.

Nice! Wanted to brew this for a party about 4 1/2 weeks out. Thought it might not be enough time. Might give it a go now. Will be kegging it.

Nice! Wanted to brew this for a party about 4 1/2 weeks out. Thought it might not be enough time. Might give it a go now. Will be kegging it.

Kegging you will be fine, i tried this recipe with wlp565 and bottled it after 2 weeks primary, it really didn't hit its stride for at least 3months all around great beer

,it really didn't hit its stride for at least 3months all around great beer

My problem is I can't let it sit that long:tank: When I brew this again (which will be soon) I will bottle some and store it to see how it taste after sitting for a while. It's the only way I'll be able to keep from drinking it all too soon! :mug:

My problem is I can't let it sit that long:tank: When I brew this again (which will be soon) I will bottle some and store it to see how it taste after sitting for a while. It's the only way I'll be able to keep from drinking it all too soon! :mug:

Haha cheers!

Cottage House Saison made the top Belgian and French ale recipe on homebrew talk!

Thanks everyone who brewed and loved this beer!

It's pretty wild that my recipe has been so well received here and elsewhere across the web! Makes me thirsty....

Well deserved!! Great recipe and will be a constant in my keezer!

Just saw that it made the list! Congrats. Brewing this again on Sunday. Going to add a little bit more pepper, but love this Saison.

Brewed this today with some significant liberties taken.

My LHBS is closing, and they had a big sale on. I bought a TON of random and assorted hops.

I petitioned the internets and we ended up using Jarrylo, Hallertau and Huell Melon:

60 min –*Jarrlyo, 0.5oz
15 min –*Hallertau, 0.5oz; Huell Melon, 0.5oz
5 min – Hallertau, 0.5oz; Jarrylo, 0.5oz
177deg –*Huell Melon 0.5oz

Pitched with Wyeast 3711 French Saison.

Plan on fermenting with ascending temperatures to around 83/84.

Thanks for a fantastic base recipe!

Since reading the recipe on the top recipes list I've been planning to brew it. It sounds killer and I've never tried a saison before.
I decided to make a few tweaks and ended up taking about 20% of the grain bill and doing a lacto sour mash last Wednesday to beef up the funk. This last Sunday I brewed the rest of the bill and added .25 oz bitter and .25 oz sweet orange peel to the last 15 minutes of the boil. I couldn't get 3711 so I subbed in WL565. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
I'll post pics when I bottle.

Sounds about right. I shared a champagne bottle of this on the 4th that had been sitting on ice all day. Half the group really liked it but I thought the flavor profile was somewhat muted and I let it warm up some.

I just brewed this for the 2nd time and hit the numbers I wanted to hit. Same as my first brew. My OG is 1.066. I have a question about the fermentation period. This yeast seems to be really fast acting. Two weeks at 68 then moving it to a higher temp for another two weeks, is there any sugar left at that point? I guess an FG reading before moving it would tell me, but what's everyone's experience?

Also, anyone tried fermenting with Champagne yeast? Was thinking of brewing a split batch next time.

When I brewed this the 3711 had of down to 1.002 on 6 days. If you want to move it to get some extra esters I think you'd have to do it by day 3 or 4 at the latest. This stuff chews through wort extremely fast.

At 70 degree Fahrenheit it has not been my experience that it is fast... I've only ever fermented this in the low 70s though. For me it has given a slow, long burn down. No explosive krausen, just a solid ferment that takes an extra week to get the last 2 gravity points. Very reliably dry.

I brewed this back in December, just decided to open one up this evening

Thought i'd share my appreciation for the recipe again!

c8LXPHc.jpg

I, like many, came across this thread while looking for a solid Saison recipe to try. And in brewing it right now...

From my beer smith report for 10 gallons finished

15 lbs Pilsner
3 lbs white wheat
1lb caramunich 1
1lb flaked out
2 lbs raspberry honey

.5 Oz El Dorado FWH (14.9)
1 Oz Saaz FWH (3.2)
1 Oz Saaz 30 min
1 Oz Saaz 15 min
.5 Oz El Dorado 15 min
1 tbsp black pepper 5 mins
1 tsp yeast nutrient 5 mins

I mashed in at 146, then recirculated until it cooled to 140f. This took 35 minutes while the mash was isolated from my HERMS. I then raised it to 162 ( I was shooting for 158 but it raised very quickly while my herms hlt was at 175f) then recirculated for 30 minutes. I then raised the mash to 170 and held it there for 10 minutes for mash out.

Collected 13.25 and boiled to 11.25 over 90 minutes

Cool to 65, allow to free rise in hallway with ambient around 70-75f

Estimated OG is 1.062 and FG is 1.002
Big mason jar of wyeast 3711, 2nd gen

I changed the hops and honey variety but kept it all the same otherwise.

About to mash out now!

I, like many, came across this thread while looking for a solid Saison recipe to try. And in brewing it right now...

From my beer smith report for 10 gallons finished

15 lbs Pilsner
3 lbs white wheat
1lb caramunich 1
1lb flaked out
2 lbs raspberry honey

.5 Oz El Dorado FWH (14.9)
1 Oz Saaz FWH (3.2)
1 Oz Saaz 30 min
1 Oz Saaz 15 min
.5 Oz El Dorado 15 min
1 tbsp black pepper 5 mins
1 tsp yeast nutrient 5 mins

I mashed in at 146, then recirculated until it cooled to 140f. This took 35 minutes while the mash was isolated from my HERMS. I then raised it to 162 ( I was shooting for 158 but it raised very quickly while my herms hlt was at 175f) then recirculated for 30 minutes. I then raised the mash to 170 and held it there for 10 minutes for mash out.

Collected 13.25 and boiled to 11.25 over 90 minutes

Cool to 65, allow to free rise in hallway with ambient around 70-75f

Estimated OG is 1.062 and FG is 1.002
Big mason jar of wyeast 3711, 2nd gen

I changed the hops and honey variety but kept it all the same otherwise.

About to mash out now!

That sounds delightful! This is a great recipe, and tour own touches sound amazing. You won't be disappointed! I am currently sparging my own right now! Going with the base recipe, but using locally sourced wildflower honey, and I'm going to dry hop with the leftover sorachi ace. I may throw in an extra ounce for dry hopping... Haven't decided that yet.

I just brewed this for the 2nd time and hit the numbers I wanted to hit. Same as my first brew. My OG is 1.066. I have a question about the fermentation period. This yeast seems to be really fast acting. Two weeks at 68 then moving it to a higher temp for another two weeks, is there any sugar left at that point? I guess an FG reading before moving it would tell me, but what's everyone's experience?

Also, anyone tried fermenting with Champagne yeast? Was thinking of brewing a split batch next time.

Been fermenting for about 10 days now, moved to a warmer temp. My gravity is at 1.008, which is the FG I reached after four weeks the first time I brewed this. I am afraid I'm going to stall out again. Did under pitch? Anything I can do to get that last bit done?

So I've decided to brew this one again since it was so good the first time. This time, however, I am planning on messing with my water additions. The first batch I used all R/O water with NO salt additions. This time I want to incorporate gypsum and CaCl, as well as lactic acid.

After doing some research, I have decided to concentrate on Ca of about 50ppm, Sulfate about 100ppm and Chloride of about 20ppm and some lactic acid to keep the mash pH around 5.2.

Has anyone used certain addition numbers for this beer they would care to share? I want to see how much different this will taste with the additions. All other parts of the recipe will be the same as before.

My batch is in the keg and all carbed up. I have made some good beers, but this one is definitely in my top 3.

Color is a bit darker than others have ended up with, but I will blame the honey and darker Caramunich than I am used to.

This beer is everything a Saison should be.

IMG_0737_zpsq9rjcyld.jpg

Anyone (who brewed this more than once) sub the cara Munich with a similar crystal and notice any differences

After doing some research, I have decided to concentrate on Ca of about 50ppm, Sulfate about 100ppm and Chloride of about 20ppm and some lactic acid to keep the mash pH around 5.2.

From what I've read, those ion levels and target pH looks spot on for a Saison

From what I've read, those ion levels and target pH looks spot on for a Saison

This is what I brewed it at and I could tell the difference from the last time I brewed this without any mineral additions, for the better! I didn't think I could brew this beer any better the first time until I put the additions in. I was amazed at how good this beer really is! The only problem is I'm saving the keg for our brew and Q party this November.....by then it should be better than imagined! lol..... Those additions are the exact same I'll use for future brews of this recipe!

Poured my last bottle of this tonight. Of course it was perfectly clear and tasted the best of the whole batch.

Time to put this one into the schedule and have some patience before drinking it all.

Poured my last bottle of this tonight. Of course it was perfectly clear and tasted the best of the whole batch.

Time to put this one into the schedule and have some patience before drinking it all.

I put away 5 gallons of this in champagne bottles, it aged splendidly and even after cellaring it for nearly a year, the last bottle is still always the best, I think it's simply because you know there is no more to be had.

So I just brewed this recipe after alot of procrastination...brew almost went off with out a hitch except when I go to check the OG at the end of brew day it's a few points off...so I say whatever being that it's 100 degree here today. While I'm cleaning up I notice the pound of honey I FORGOT TO ADD at the 5 min.!!!!
I blame it on hot Texas afternoons and dam Jester King for making great beers but anyway how could I add the honey and pepper now?
I already pitched the yeast and it's in my ferment chamber.
I can't be the only one this has happened to...🙎🔫

So I just brewed this recipe after alot of procrastination...brew almost went off with out a hitch except when I go to check the OG at the end of brew day it's a few points off...so I say whatever being that it's 100 degree here today. While I'm cleaning up I notice the pound of honey I FORGOT TO ADD at the 5 min.!!!!
I blame it on hot Texas afternoons and dam Jester King for making great beers but anyway how could I add the honey and pepper now?
I can't be the only one this has happened to...🙎🔫

Meh, piss on it, warm the honey and dump it in with the pepper!

I can't be the only one this has happened to...����

Shouldn't be a problem.
Just boil the honey and pepper in about 12oz of water for 10 mins and then add to the fermenter. It probably doesn't really matter when but if you already have a krausen I would wait until it has gone before doing this.

Brewed something similar today ;) kept the base the same except took out the honey added an oz of sorchachi ace hops,cascade hops, half oz of simcoe hops, half oz citra hops. Added brettanomyces and Belgian abbey wyeast. Planning on dry hoping with another half oz citra and oz simcoe :)

I'm thinking I need to brew this up next weekend, I may make some changes depending on my grain stockpile, also living in a different state means different local honey, I've contacted my local beekeeper club and am excited to see what they have available

I have a wlp568 vial to build up got it half off because its outta date, gonna mix it up with carared and some clover honey i have to use up

Back