Adding more yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyy

Reaction score
Started the fermenting process (25c degs for 4 days) and when the airlocked stopped bubbling I checked the gravity and it was 1.030
Should I add more yeast? I also tasted it and the brew was abit sweet so I'm thinking there was not enough yeast added at the begin.

Started the fermenting process (25c degs for 4 days) and when the airlocked stopped bubbling I checked the gravity and it was 1.030
Should I add more yeast? I also tasted it and the brew was abit sweet so I'm thinking there was not enough yeast added at the begin.

Hello Andyy....Vigorous fermentation in Ales is between 2-6 days, Lager is 4-10 days...however the beer is still fermenting, primary fermentation is usually finished after 14 days, at this time your beer will begin to condition for up to another week.
My best advice....leave you beer alone for a total of 2 weeks, at this point take a gravity reading (you should be spot on)...but dont bottle it yet, let is sit for another 3 - 7 days and then bottle, allowing for conditioning. In general I leave all my ales in the primary for 3 weeks and then keg/bottle.
Here is a great online book for you to read (chapter 8 is fermentation):
http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html
Good luck, I hope it turns out ok!

Just because the air lock quit bubbling isn't reason to believe that fermentation is complete. Minimum time for fermentation for most ales is 2 to 3 weeks. I wouldn't even think of taking a gravity reading for at least 2 weeks.

Also, without knowing the fermentables , yeast strain and OG of a beer it's impossible to guess what your final gravity should be.

Be patient and wait another week or 10 days and then check it.

Bob

+1 to the above. BTW, unless thats a saison, 25C is way too hot for fermentation. it won't kill the yeast, but your gunna have way more esters (banana) than intended and some fusels (harsh alcohol)

i hope that wasn't a lager yeast then, those are meant to be done closer to 10C. thats a ton of dextrose too

what was the OG and how much did you yeast did you pitch?

Latest posts

Back