Favorite Regional Soda / Pop / Soda Pop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrankyOldLibrarian

Reaction score
We spend a lot of time talking about regional beers, but what about soda / pop / soda pop?

What are your favorite sodas?

Some of mine:

Sparkling Loganberry Soda (had in upstate NY)

MASH - really good natural tasting sodas - small line put out by Boylans. My favorite is the Lemon Peel/Ginger Root. (Not sure where this is made.)

Big Red out of Texas (haven't has this in years).

There was a Canada Dry Ginger Ale sold near Nashua NH that was 'Chelmsford style'... it seemed to be a stronger than normal, yet not of their regular ginger ale. Probably had some extra ginger and some other flavor (label said 'natural flavors' >shrugg<)...

Detroit/Michigan used to have Towne Club which was phenomenal. Faygo is still great - Red Pop owns. And Vernors is a classic. I took it for granted until I moved out of state for a few years and it was hard to come by.

Bubble Up (like 7-up)
Apple Beer (apple soda)
Nehi (assorted flavours)
Frosty Root Beer
Big Red (red pop)
Vernor's (ginger ale)
Fanta (orange soda)
Crush (assorted flavours)
Boylan's (assorted flavours)

So many that I've never heard of. I'm curious about cheerwine and Apple Beer.

Moxie - they have that in Boston. I can stand the stuff, but I have friends who love it.

Sangria Senorail.

Big Red as well.

I've been in Texas two years now... I don't think I've had Big Red or seen it that I can remember. I'm in Dallas... whats it taste like?

Haven't had a Vernors in quite a long time -- not since I was visiting family in Western New York. Miss the Loganberry, too. And the Iroquois Birch Beer.

Birch Beer. Dang, I'd really like some, locally.

Anyways, now that I'm in San Jose (CA), I really like the Weinhard's Root Beer, which nobody back home has ever heard of. I think it's only on the West Coast.

I found a 12 pack of Big Red at the store yesterday and decided to pick it up. I kind of like it, I've always liked cream sodas so this is pretty neat. I can see why people think it tastes like bubblegum (even though from what I read its supposed to be citrus?).
It might take me a while to get through the whole pack since I don't normally drink sugary drinks.

I've been in Texas two years now... I don't think I've had Big Red or seen it that I can remember. I'm in Dallas... whats it taste like?

It's been a long time, but I remember it being a very sweet soda with cream soda, bubble gum, and either strawberry or cherry flavors.

Big Red... Is that the stuff that I got out of a vending machine in KY?? It's basically like Faygo Redpop. Sweet Strawberry Soda.

I found a 12 pack of Big Red at the store yesterday and decided to pick it up. I kind of like it, I've always liked cream sodas so this is pretty neat. I can see why people think it tastes like bubblegum (even though from what I read its supposed to be citrus?).
It might take me a while to get through the whole pack since I don't normally drink sugary drinks.

They had a contest recently to guess the flavor, Last I checked it was a cream soda, I know nothing else of it. If you get a "red" soda down here it's typically strawberry, I don't know what it is, but it's good.

wikipedia says the flavor is "Its unique taste, though often thought to be bubble gum, is created by mixing orange and lemon oils with the traditional vanilla used in other cream sodas"

So many that I've never heard of. I'm curious about cheerwine and Apple Beer.

Moxie - they have that in Boston. I can stand the stuff, but I have friends who love it.

Here's a link to the Apple Beer site: http://www.applebeer.com/

I almost forgot Green River (lime soda); it was pretty hard to find even when I was a kid, but it's still around:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_River_(soft_drink)

Somebody else was wanting a birch beer, I think Boylan's makes the best, they have 3 kinds to choose from: http://www.boylanbottling.com/

I'm enjoying this thread, it's a nice little memory jogger for some pleasant memories. Regards, GF.

I get Green River around Indy, I still enjoy it and so do my kids, I grew up in Chicago though. I remember getting it in a powder mix like kool-aid (not to be confused with the libtard kool-aid often consumed in Chicago). Orange Faygo (juggalo's!) is another favorite.

Here in East Tennessee, we have one called Dr. Enuf. It is fantastic. Kind of citrusy, chock full of vitamin B and caffeine,too. El Hubbo swears by it as a hangover remedy, and we have both wondered if this might be the original purpose. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a chelating agent in there, to protect our local populance from heavy metal poisoning brought about by excessive white lightening consumption. I love the stuff, and they make a "herbal cherry" version that ain't bad, either.

Around here (central pa) they sell a very nicely spiced ginger ale by A-treat sodas called Extra Spicy Golden Ginger. Though that's not quite as good as the Buffalo Rock ginger ale made in georgia.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

I've had some Jamaican ginger ales, those things are intense.

Back