Tin in the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanT

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum, sorry if it isn't. I am building an MLT using FlyGuy's method with the steel braid. I am concerned about the braid getting crushed, so I want to support the braid internally. I have some 6 gauge tinned copper bus bar that I want to wrap like a spring, is this ok to use? I would assume so, as soldered connections are fine, but I just wanted to check. Thanks in advance!

Not sure if this is the right forum, sorry if it isn't. I am building an MLT using FlyGuy's method with the steel braid. I am concerned about the braid getting crushed, so I want to support the braid internally. I have some 6 gauge tinned copper bus bar that I want to wrap like a spring, is this ok to use? I would assume so, as soldered connections are fine, but I just wanted to check. Thanks in advance!

Is it tinned with lead free solder?

you could always strip some spare electrical wire and use the copper inside to make your spring.

I took a different aproach when I made my setup:

DSC01687-w.JPG

I made a loop of copper tubing and split it lengthwise and then slid the braid over it.

DSC01692-w.JPG

It's very rigid and performs well for me.

camiller said:
Is it tinned with lead free solder?

Not sure. I know after 2004 the wire is EU compliant, which I am fairly certain means lead free. Not sure when this was manufactured/bought though. No lot number on the spool.

Bjornbrewer said:
how the hell are you going to wrap bus bar like a spring??? (unless we're not thinking of the same thing)

I like brians idea.

:eek: Oops.. its 12 gauge, not 6. So it would work but it wouldn't be pretty. All the "normal" (plastic sheathed) electrical wire I have is high gauge. I do have some 12 gauge magnet wire but am concerned about the exterior coating (poly-imide coated) and how to convince myself that I have removed it.

P-J: I like your approach, but am brewing tomorrow and need to put the finishing touches on my ferm chamber tonight. I may end up going with that method in the long run. Personally, I like to keep as much plastic out of my MLT as possible, even though the container itself is plastic :cross:.

BTW, the two wires I am talking about are both by belden, numbers 8011 and 8073. https://edeskv2.belden.com/Products/#s=8073 8011&r=0 if you want to see for yourself.

I was concerned about crushing the braid in my setup as well, so I purchased a long water heater braided hose and stripped that, I used about a foot of it and have had the extra 5 foot sitting in a box, just over a year later, I dinged the braid in one spot, a minute or so of futzing with it while cleaning up fixed it right up. so my spare length of braid is still sitting there waiting for me to need it.

I used stainless wire. If you get the larger diameter washing machine hose braid crushing is not a problem.

Thanks for all your advice. I decided to do nothing and the sparge went well.

Back