Hop Growth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
So i planted 2 tett, 1 perle, 1 santiam, and a spalt.

The perle, santiam and spalt are all between 6-9 feet tall right now.
All planted at the same time.

The two tett. are only about 2-3 feet tall. Are they normally slow growers???

There are all 1st year hops and all planted at the exact same time and all from the same place.
Also same soil and location.

Just thought it was odd that the others are growing like gang busters and the tettange hops are growing a lot slower.

Thanks for your help.

I have a 3rd year Tet plant that is just starting to come up. (6 inches above the ground) The past couple years its been slow and then a huge jump in June and July. Just my experience for San Diego, CA.

I have a first year Tett in a container that's just starting to get burrs - probably about 15ft (hit the roof, so I don't really know). It was definitely the slowest out of the three varieties that I'm growing (the other two are Cascade and Centennial).

The other plants are covered with hops and burrs right now and probably closer to 20ft.

Some varieties are considered "early" season, and some "late". Check freshops, they have a very detailed break down of all the varieties, their origin, yield, etc.

Additionally, all plants can vary dramatically in different micro-climates, even the same variety; for instance, I have two 2nd year sterling plants spaced 3 feet apart-- one has gone gang busters and outgrew my trellis whereas the second one three feet away has been SLOW and is just now starting to really climb. Both plants same soil/compost/manure mixture, watering, and feedings.

Another thing to consider, until your plants reach full maturity (season 3) RDWHAHB! :) They do crazy things. My 2nd year Northern Brewer (2 plants) maxed out at about 18 inches last year. A month ago all of my other 2nd year were going crazy and the NB were at the same 12-18 inch plateau and I was already planning on yanking them out, but told myself I need to see how they do next season when they reach maturity (3rd year). However, now they are 6-8 feet and starting to shoot out burrs. I am definitely leaving them and again, will not make my decision until after next season on them.

Lastly, my two spalt plants (another noble like your tett) maxed out around 4-5 feet last year and yielded literally one handful of cones. This year they started out really slow in relation to most of my other varieties, and now they have overgrown my trellis, and are bursting with burrs/cones.

So that is a long-winded way of saying RDWHAHB, water/feed them all the same, and don't make a decision until after year 3!

Just my .02

:mug:

Back