Protien Rest? Should have asked sooner...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_Swillery

Reaction score
Brewing a semi-DIY recipe tomorrow... grain bill as follows:

8 lbs 12 oz Maris Otter
8 oz Crystal 60
6 oz white wheat

Would I benefit from a protien rest? I'm thinking no since the small portion of wheat.

Thanks for the help/pointers...

My understanding is that protein rests are something of the past. Malting houses take the process further than they used to and malts are fully conditioned these days.

Unless Marris Otter is special in that regard and is still made the "old fashioned way", you don't need to do a protein rest.

Conventional wisdom is that protein rests are beneficial for malts with low or moderate protein modification (SNR < 40) and not beneficial otherwise (see Narziss or Fix).

English base malts are over-modified with an SNR generally in the high 40s. They are designed for single infusion mashing. This is the last grist for which you would want to employ a protein rest.

i wouldn't bother, for the exact reason you state- that is such a minimal amount of wheat. now, if you were doing a wheat/hefe then definitely, a protein rest would help. caution tho, it will be the most fermentable wort you have ever made, blowoff tube is a must.

Back