Carbonator Cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJC16

Reaction score
Can I make a carbonator cap from a metal growler cap? I am asking so I can force carb my sweet cider and then put in my Tap a draft so I do not have to use so many co2 cartridges. I will be carbonating 6 litre PETs.

Why would you want to use a growler cap then? Do the 6 litre bottles take a normal 2 or 3 liter cap?

it would be a 3 liter bottle cap, I just do not know where to find them

it would be a 3 liter bottle cap, I just do not know where to find them

Check where the generic soda is, they often come in 3 liter bottles. Grocery store, walmart, dollar city, etc. Search the soda making forum, there's lots of info there on making your own for a 3 liter bottle.

I found stainless valve stems on ebay that have a double o-ring design with a nut so you can put them in just about anything. drill a 1/4 inch hole, feed it through, oring and nut on the other side and you have a valve stem you can hook up to your co2 tank .

Go to advanced auto parts, for 4 or 5 bucks you can get 2 stainless truck tire valves. Drill a hole in the top and thread it through the top of the 6L bottle cap. I fixed my CO2 bottle with a quick change fitting and a tire chuck from lowes for less than 10 bucks and it works great. Also good on bottling day to fill up a 20oz and try some of the fizzy goods. :)

Hey, guys I just followed these directions, I had to dremmel the cap to clean up the indented metal and it worked great, this will save me a whole bunch of co2 cartridges for my tap a draft system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just made two of these using 1 liter seltzer bottles from shoprite (50cents each) and the push in rubber schrader valves from the auto parts store. They had some metal ones but it was just chrome plated brass. It remains to be seen if the small bit of rubber in the bottle is going to be a problem. I need to order some stainless ones.

Yea I paid a little bit more for the better valves too, and I think that are working great. I made a metal one and I used a black plastic growler cap too, ill post a picture of it when I am not using it

Back