Fermentation Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've got a closet dedicated to brewing, but it stays around 70 to 72 degrees, which is within reason for most ales, but I'd like to get it around 65 to 68 degrees. I don't have the cash, or space, for a portable AC unit, so I was thinking of simply getting a big tub and filling it with water, but was curious of how much that would make a difference.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

That's what I do. And dump a little ice in the tub in the morning and before I go to bed. It keeps the temp around 65 degrees with fluctuations of only a couple degrees inbetween icings.

Another thing you can do is a wet towel and a fan. Wrap the wet towel around the carboy and put a fan on it. The evaporation will cool it down a few degrees/

For me 67 can become 62 degrees! For you where it's more humid you can still get a few degrees cooler I bet.

I just moved into a new place where I’m brewing in my basement. The first batch I brewed fermented at somewhere between 72-78 and I could taste a lot of ester bananay flavors. The second batch I brewed I let it ferment in a big plastic tub with the carboy submerged in water about halfway up its side. The water stayed at a pretty consistent 60 degrees and the thermometer on the side of the carboy read a pretty constant 68 degrees. The beer is still a little young in the bottles but it seems to have a much cleaner flavor. So yes, I think your idea will work/help. You could try freezing four water bottles and switching two out at a time in the mornings and evenings to try and keep it even cooler if you need to.

Mine sits in a tub sink in my basement and ferments at a nice 67 F. Its a common temp control strategy.

The tub approach should work, but you'll have to leave the door open or add ice occasionally.

The water in tub method works very well. I have mine setup as a rubbermaid tub filled with about 3-4 gallons of water, 4 frozen coke bottles I switch out 2-3 times a day, and covered with 2 towels. Using this method I have consistent 63-65F temps.

Thanks Guys for all of the replies. I was curious of what type of results I would get, and I knew a lot of you did this. Sounds like I will be purchasing a tub (or two) this week...

Prost!

BTW, I'm planning on doing EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, any tips, tricks, input not covered in the 28 pages of that post?

I bought a 60qt Igloo Ice Cube and the carboy fits in there with room for 2 or 3 2 liter ice bottles. So far, even on hot days I only use one bottle a day and my temps are staying 65° or below. I imagine it wold fit right into the closet...

I bought a 60qt Igloo Ice Cube and the carboy fits in there with room for 2 or 3 2 liter ice bottles. So far, even on hot days I only use one bottle a day and my temps are staying 65° or below. I imagine it wold fit right into the closet...

Do you put water in there as well, or just the bottles of ice?

Back