Broke my hydrometer - should I care?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pliftkl

Reaction score
In the process of cleaning and sterilizing things for a batch that I was brewing, I broke my hydrometer. This meant not taking readings on the batch of AHBS Imperial Pale Ale that I was making. Although I've used the hydrometer on my previous batches (of which I've done only 2), I've done nothing with the results. Is there any reason why I should be in a rush to get a new hydrometer? I figured I would just leave the beer in the primary a few extra days and an extra week in the secondary to ensure that I wasn't making bottle bombs.

My first brew was made without a hydrometer and I didn't have any problems. As long as you're not making big beers, I would think it wouldn't too much of a problem. Furthermore, if you're only doing extract brews the OG is determined by the amount of extract added. It isn't like your trying to figure out your mash efficiency.

I went several batches without having a hydrometer. In fact I only got one because I wanted to put the % ABV on the label for the Belgian Dubbel that I'm brewing now.

Walker-San will tell you that hydrometers only cause you to worry.

-walker-san

NO.gif

Walker-san said:
{I am going to catch SO much hell in a month or so when I go AG and use a hydrometer again}

I hope you have a few. Don't they always go in 3's?:cross:

I dropped mine into a glass graduated cylinder, broke both of them in one fell swoop. First time in 7 years, and still learning.

Such is life! The beer still turned out great!

EdWort said:
I hope you have a few. Don't they always go in 3's?

I've got one... at least I think I still have it. I bought it when I made wine several months ago.

If I break it, I'll never even bother trying to use one again. It'll be a sign...

I don't see how anyone brews without a hydrometer. It is a way to collect data on your brews that can help you understand them.
You can calculate the amount of alcohol for one. You can also find out how the brew attenuated. Did if finish too high? Too low? I think they are a good tool to help improve a home brewer's beers.
Having said that, if you are making good beers without one and you are enjoying the hobby then by all means you don't need to use one.:mug:

The only thing I use mine for is to get a bad OG reading because of not making adjustments for temperature. I'm usually a bit tired and enjoyed enough beer to not be concerned, for some odd reason. :drunk:

I have one somewhere, but it seems like I lost it. I used it for my first batch and decided that for me, it added no value. But I am a HIGHLY non-interventionist brewer. I delegate as much of the work as possible to the yeast. We (me and the yeast) both seem to be happy with how this works.

Walker-san said:
{I am going to catch SO much hell in a month or so when I go AG and use a hydrometer again}

I was thinking the same thing. I gradually stopped using mine, but I hope to be doing AG in a month or so.

Back