Keg to bottle question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavlovsdog

Reaction score
Beautiful Mountains of Western North Carolina
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much in advanced for your collective insight! Anyways, here is the scenario...

About 7 months ago I kegged some brown ale and force carbonated. I drank about two pints, and then a leak in the keg caused my CO2 to run out, and the beer went flat. I have been pretty lazy about this keg, and it has just been sitting in the kegerator flat for the last 7 months. Now, my buddies want me to have some bottled beer ready for a wedding, and I wondered if I could just prime what was in this keg and then bottle it. Does anyone see any problem with this? Will the yeast still be viable since it has been in a cold refrigerator for so long? Any issues with oxidation?

Thanks!

Why not force carb it again, taste it to make sure it is still good, then spend $5.00 and make your own bottle filler, bottle from the keg.

I have used a beer gun back in the day and it works great. 7 months is a while, force carb and see what it taste like. Or brew another batch and fix the leak.

I would definitely taste it, as since it had a leak, it means the beer is being exposed to air... How soon is the wedding?

CO2 is heavier than oxygen, so it MAY have had a blanket of CO2 guarding against the O2.

But 7 months is a long time and tasting it seems like a good idea.

But as for the yeast, I think there should be SOME yeast still around, but I would re-pitch the yeast.

How do you forget about a keg of beer for 7 months? If it were in the fermentor I could understand. But once my beer reaches the keg I can not forget about it.

Damn underage beer is always taunting me. "Come here Joe you know you want to have a good time. We may be a little too young for you but you know you want to tap that. Come on, please. I feel great going down and no one has to know about it"

"Come here Joe you know you want to have a good time. We may be a little too young for you but you know you want to tap that. Come on, please. I feel great going down and no one has to know about it"

WOW... I almost feel the need to put that on the memorable quotes page...

Oh wait, you were talking about beer?

Back