The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, very much like that. (BTW, for those who haven't heard it, that was a mercifully short snippet of the Verizon decimal point saga. I was literally shaking after about 10 minutes into the unedited thing...

When I first heard the whole thing, I was on the verge of finding a blunt weapon and hunting down those Verizon people so that they could be removed from the gene pool. Even now, I think listening to it cuts a few weeks off my lifespan due to the stress.

Not necessarily stupid, but just an average joe beer comment.

I served some of my beer to my gf's dad and BIL this weekend and the first comment was..."this isn't cold!" It was somewhere between 39 and 43. After that, they decided they liked it though, but qualified each compliment with "...it should be colder though".

bonzombiekitty said:
When I first heard the whole thing, I was on the verge of finding a blunt weapon and hunting down those Verizon people so that they could be removed from the gene pool. Even now, I think listening to it cuts a few weeks off my lifespan due to the stress.

I would have had them get a piece of paper and said "wrote this down. How much would 1 kb cost? 1 x .002 cents is .002 cents. Good. Now how much would 2 kb cost? 2 x .002 cents is what? .004 cents. Write that down. How much would 10 kb cost?" and so on, as long as it took for those dummies to get it.

Boleslaus said:
Not necessarily stupid, but just an average joe beer comment.

I served some of my beer to my gf's dad and BIL this weekend and the first comment was..."this isn't cold!" It was somewhere between 39 and 43. After that, they decided they liked it though, but qualified each compliment with "...it should be colder though".

I know I had te same response. Mine made me go get ice cubes

JonM said:
I would have had them get a piece of paper and said "wrote this down. How much would 1 kb cost? 1 x .002 cents is .002 cents. Good. Now how much would 2 kb cost? 2 x .002 cents is what? .004 cents. Write that down. How much would 10 kb cost?" and so on, as long as it took for those dummies to get it.

Clearly you've never listened to the full version... I highly doubt your strategy would've worked. I never would have believed people were that stupid before...

I just found the 27 minute long version and listened to the entire thing.

I need to hit something very hard right now.

slowbie said:
Clearly you've never listened to the full version... I highly doubt your strategy would've worked. I never would have believed people were that stupid before...

Ooh, sounds bad. I don't think I could handle it.

That wouldn't have worked though. The issue wasn't a difference so much in understanding math, but rather not understanding terminology and the meaning of the symbols. In front of the Verizon reps was "$.002" but because of the decimal being present they were reading it as "point zero zero two cents" instead of "point zero zero two dollars". They assumed that because the number starts with a decimal, it should be read as "cents". So if you told them to write down "point zero zero two cents" they'd write down "$.002", and end up with their version of the answer.

When this first happened years ago, I was SHOCKED at the number of people that had the same misunderstanding that the Verizon people did.

I think going through it step-by-step may have worked. The guy almost had them for a second there, but then skipped too far. I would have focused on the equivalency between 0.5 and 1/2 for longer.

Argh, you know what, I'm starting to get all upset just thinking about it. Nevermind.

... people are morons and our race is doomed!

I agree!

Can we get back to the stupid beer comments now?

My neighbor said she loves a good hoppy beer. So I let her try my Irish Red and she said it was pretty hoppy. I guess she hasn't tried a good IPA.

My neighbor said she loves a good hoppy beer. So I let her try my Irish Red and she said it was pretty hoppy. I guess she hasn't tried a good IPA.

I am just as confused as to why you would give an Irish Red to someone who said they like hoppy beers :confused: but yeah your neighbour confuses me more :D

mattd2 said:
I am just as confused as to why you would give an Irish Red to someone who said they like hoppy beers :confused: but yeah your neighbour confuses me more :D

It's the only one I had. I wonder what's she's gonna say when I let her try my big IPA I'm brewing:)

:off: Not stupid, but the best compliment I've had and it wasn't even spoken!

I brewed a Pliny Clone for Family reunion. Most everybody there likes Pliny, but a few don't even drink beer. My Grandmothers friend at her retirment home was there. He hasn't had a drink in about 30-40 years. I give him a sip and he liked it so I gave hime one. By the end of the afternoon he sucked down 3, 12 oz bottles of 8.5% Pliny!!! For someone that doesn't drink to like my home brew enough to pound 3, that's pretty awesome. :mug:

By the way he didn't quit drinking because of being an alcoholic or anything he just never cared for any type of alcohol.

My Grandmothers friend at her retirment home was there. He hasn't had a drink in about 30-40 years. I give him a sip and he liked it so I gave hime one. By the end of the afternoon he sucked down 3, 12 oz bottles of 8.5% Pliny!!! For someone that doesn't drink to like my home brew enough to pound 3, that's pretty awesome. :mug:

By the way he didn't quit drinking because of being an alcoholic or anything he just never cared for any type of alcohol.

Probably the most interesting thing to happen to him in a while. You made his week.

I brewed a Pliny Clone for Family reunion. Most everybody there likes Pliny, but a few don't even drink beer. My Grandmothers friend at her retirment home was there. He hasn't had a drink in about 30-40 years. I give him a sip and he liked it so I gave hime one. By the end of the afternoon he sucked down 3, 12 oz bottles of 8.5% Pliny!!! For someone that doesn't drink to like my home brew enough to pound 3, that's pretty awesome. :mug:

Nice! must be rough having Pliny availble.:mad: Guess my only choice is to brew it here. Any suggestions for recipes???? Please,please God i must make this..
Its the end of the afternoon here and i already sucked down a founders ipa,founders double trouble, and a founders red rye ale.. wtf?!!!

starrbrew said:

Elderly and sober for 3-4 decades??? How'd he handle that much alcohol?

The guy my parents just bought their new house from was over this past weekend, moving more crap out. We were in the basement in my new beermaking corner, and got on the topic.

He proceeded to tell me about "some guy he knew" who made beer in his bathtub. I was like "you sure it wasn't a still in his tub making 'shine?". Nope, he says... It was a bathtub full of beer. I just nodded and was like "oh, cool".

Bathtub brew strikes again.

when talking to some guys at work we got on the topic of going out and drinking. One guy said "I just can't drink cheap vodka, makes me way to hung over plus its disgusting" I responded "Yeah i feel the same way about cheap beer" and he looks me dead in the eye and says "Me too, that's why i drink bud light."

when talking to some guys at work we got on the topic of going out and drinking. One guy said "I just can't drink cheap vodka, makes me way to hung over plus its disgusting" I responded "Yeah i feel the same way about cheap beer" and he looks me dead in the eye and says "Me too, that's why i drink bud light."

Awesome.

Cheap vodka huh? 40% ethanol + 59% water causes a hangover while the more expensive 40% ethanol + 59% water mixture doesn't. Interesting.

its all about how they distill it with vodka. when it's distilled poorly a lot of other nasty stuff gets in there which makes hangovers worse, plus it tastes like rubbing alcohol

its all about how they distill it with vodka. when it's distilled poorly a lot of other nasty stuff gets in there which makes hangovers worse, plus it tastes like rubbing alcohol

My thoughts exactly the first time I took a shot of vodka (Smirnoff.)

I was in Milwaukee this weekend at a Belgian-themed bar and my buddy ordered a Rochefort 10. The waitress (who was really nice, don't get me wrong) says "Oh yeah, Rokuhfort is great. It's made in Belgium by Buddhist monks.".

Back