Travel to San Diego… and more??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moce

Reaction score
I will be in San Diego for about a week this October and need to know what you guys think about spending 2-3 days to go up to the north to visit Russian River, Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada and other breweries. Is it worth the trip? I could go by plane from San Diego for about $100 round trip.

When in San Diego, is a good idea to rent a car or is it better to use the bus?

Thanks.

Lots of great breweries in SD, plus Stone just north, some good ones in Temecula, also. But RR is in my view one of the holy grails.

I went last October for a conference on Coronado Island. It sucked getting cabs everywhere. Stay downtown if you can. If you want to hit stone or drive north, you will not be able to use public transportation, so of course you'll need a rental car.
Last time I was in the RR nieghborhood it was about 2007 I would say, and I think they had a pizza joint / brewpub. Not sure it was like a full tap room attached to the brewery. No tours available when I got there, but maybe those need to be pre arranged, I really don't know. I went with my wife and we had salad, pizza, and I had a few beers: Pliny, blind pig, and consecration as I recall. I bought a hat and we left. I got tipsy when we hit the target later on. My theory is the bugs and bacteria combined with my Prilosec, left bacteria alive to make alcohol in my gut. Not sure that is scientifically accurate, but seems like it could be, anyways, it was a fun time. I think it's quite a drive to get to RR from San Diego. Getting to stone from Coronado was over an hour drive easy. Plenty of great places to visit out there. Some bottle shops in SD can get you all the RR stuff you want, and like I said, I don't think the RR brewpub is attached to their brewery if that's why you wanted to go (for a brew house tour).

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You can get a lot of RR beers in San Diego at the many brew pubs or bottle shops. I wouldn't waste the time or $ flying and then driving around for RR when they are available on draft down here. Pliny, Blind Pig and Sanctification were just on tap at pizza port carlsbad last night. Their bottles can be found in many places throughout SD. Royal Liquor in Leucadia almost always has stuff from them. Yes, making a trip up there would be fun, but you have plently down here. Use the $100 airfare to load up on some bottles and bring a suitcase full of stuff home with you.

Back