Annapolis Homebrew - Grain Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadNewsBrewery

Reaction score
So I've started getting my grain bill filled at Annapolis Homebrew, where they mill the grains for you. I'll be the first to admit that I've never paid much attention to the quality of the crush, but I've noticed less-than-ideal efficencies in my mashing lately. I was curious if anyone had any opinions on the quality of the milling, and any results that you've found from mashing grains milled in-store. I'm trying to identify all the variables that could be messing me up, and figured input from the rest of the group would be beneficial when it came to this particular subject.

Thanks!
-Kevin

I noticed the same thing and I asked them to increase the crush a little. Last two batches my efficiency has jumped. So from now on I will always make sure to ask them to do it.

What you just stated is the exact reason i am getting my own mill.Not because i do not trust nor love my LHBS but i want more control of my process.My last brew day I noticed half the grain bill had a poor crush.

Back