Hefeweizen flavor/aroma hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloose

Reaction score
I'm brewing a hef this weekend. My buddy fermented a Northern brewer bavarian hef kit at my house with the wyeast 3068, and I'm taking his cake when he bottles and going to reuse it.

My grain bill:
6lb 2 row
4lb wheat
1/2lb rice hulls

1oz magnum 14%aa 60 mins (possibly considering a FWH)

I was wondering if any flavoring or aroma hops would go well into this brew, granted its probably not to style. Some recipes I see are using a similar bittering hop with Saaz as a flavoring and aroma hop. I don't have any saaz, however I have a bunch of other hops on hand that I could easily throw in.

I have at least 12oz of each of the following on hand, so quantity isnt a problem:
citra
cascade
columbus/tomahawk
simcoe
amarillo
magnum

probably most of these would be out of style, i'm thinking of just sticking with the magnum bittering and leaving it at that (although I like aroma hops quite a bit)

I thought "citra" before I even read your hop list. Certainly not traditional, but I think those flavors could go together real nicely.

After plugging into beersmith I realized 1pz magnum would give me 54ibu, certainly out of style. Cutting that back to .5oz. Still debating in my head about an aroma hop addition vs traditional style.

Back