A few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiddy1488

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well it's safe to say I'm a massive noobie when it comes to brewing, and only recently purchased my equipment and ingredients to start making some blackberry mead.

Basically I have used a mixed lot of instructions and reading up too much have saw certain things that get me quite worried that my fermentation will not occur.

Here are the steps I took:

I sterilized ALL equipment and then begun boiling my ingredient... (don't laugh) haha
I used Ribena because my friend has used it before, and apparently it's a perfect mix of sugar water and berries? :S lol.
So I boiled the diluted ribena (9 1l cartons) one at a time, and after I'd add one, I'd add 1 425g jar of honey and any honey left in my jars i'd add a tiny bit of boiling water, shake it about and then pour the rest in to my fermentation barrel.

I continued this process until honey and ribena was all together mixing as I went along to ensure the honey was dissolved.

After this I cleaned my barrel thoroughly and then added some chopped raisins (only around three handfuls) because apparently the flavor is nicer? lol

I then waited for my ribena to cool (it took a really long time) and waited until it was warm to the touch but not boiling or too hot to touch and added my yeast nutrient (according to the instructions 1 teaspoon per galon and I had just over 2 so I used 2 and a tiny bit).

I then sprinkled evenly almost 3 packets of wilkinson plus' 5gram wine yeast as one packet would ferment 4.5l~ and I had around 11l of honey and mead in the barrel.

I then added my airlock and bung to my barrel and tightly sealed it, added some vodka to the airlock and covered my barrel with a t-shirt.

What I'm worried about is (I started fermenting around 21 hours ago) I cannot see any visible bubbles coming out of my airlock.

I think I may have killed the yeast if this isn't happening after 24 hours?

I have a gap of air in my barrel (it's a 5 gallon barrel but I only have 11 liters in it) but it does not get disturbed and a lot of people are saying never leave a gap of air.

A lot of places say mix the yeast in stirring it whereas some just say sprinkle it on top

One thing I'm thinking is I may be worrying too much, and that the bubbles won't appear because it has a big gap to fill with carbon dioxide before the bubbles can be pushed through the top?

Some websites say mix it every two days some say only mix it once half way through fermentation

Any help, tips or re-assurance would be greatly appreciated.

I am also a noob. But I think when they talk about air space is in bulk aging. I have a six gallon bucket and only 4 gallons in it. Rest to be added during first racking.

Have to be real careful with the temp of the must or yeast dies off. You might have done that.

yeah it says teaspoon per gallon so I added 2 and a bit (nutrients)

Ahh I just looked closely at my barrel and I can see bubbles and hear it fizz :D

Mine started hard fermenting about 12 hours in. I have read it can take up to 48 hours. Do you know the must temp when you added the yeast. Also I've read boiling or heating can be really bad.

Boiling ribena to kill the preservatives off if there were any is ok apparently as long as you wait for it to fully cool. I didn't take a temperature stupidly, but it is defiantly doing something as I can hear it fizzing in the barrel

Boiling ribena to kill the preservatives off if there were any is ok apparently as long as you wait for it to fully cool. I didn't take a temperature stupidly, but it is defiantly doing something as I can hear it fizzing in the barrel

I panic far too much I can hear it fizzing away my cap is on tight as hell and ive filled my airlock this much (see picture) but its still not moving and i can kinda smell the yeasty smell

ForumRunner_20121212_221423.png

That is one serious airlock. Mine is just a 3 peace. To be honest mine right now has a strong alcohol smell which I think will weaken once I rack and add fruit.

That is one serious airlock. Mine is just a 3 peace. To be honest mine right now has a strong alcohol smell which I think will weaken once I rack and add fruit.

Mm so you think it'll take its time before pushing through you think?

It can. When I get home tonight I will open and grab a sample and leave a comment. I'm pretty sure with first fermentation yeast would have a strong smell.

Hopefully gold or one of the other long time brewers will comment then we will both have a better answer.

It can. When I get home tonight I will open and grab a sample and leave a comment. I'm pretty sure with first fermentation yeast would have a strong smell.

Hopefully gold or one of the other long time brewers will comment then we will both have a better answer.

Yeah would be awesome to get some definite answers can't wait to taste this when it's all done!

Though I am new to this website I am not new to mead brewing. I started over seven years ago and brew nearly 200 gallons every 6 months or so. It sounds to me like your yeasties will be just fine. An air gap is a good thing. In my five gallon carboys I leave a good 6 to 10 inch gap. If you don't you run the risk of a mead fountain in your closet at 4 am. (Not that this ever happened to me or anything.). Personal preference I try to have my ingredients at 90 degrees give or take a degree before adding yeasties and their nutrients. I also ensure my container is in its permanent home for the next3 months or so before adding them. On a side note with a fruit mead a good couple of thoughts I use on some of mine: Fruit is best put in after being frozen, about half a cup or less per gallon of orange juice helps the mead considerably but can extend brewing period. Thanks for reading. Let me know if I can help further.

Haha wow 200 gallons. I can't imagine that with my little 6 gallon bucket and carboy.

Hi smiddy. So I pulled out the bucket to give it a good stir. It still has a odd strong alcohol smell to it but tonight I pulled some out. Even with the odd smell it tasted like a mild dry mead so was pretty happy. It's hard to tell what kind off of alcohol content it will be but it still has the fruit add during 2nd fermentation ? B

bsjracing said:
200 gal in 6months=400 per year.....slightly above the legal limit ;)

If I did not have a license yes it would be above the legal limit. But anywho I am happy to help you guys with questions when ever I can.

Ok so i'm going to attach a couple pictures.

ForumRunner_20121213_080019.jpg

I opened it up this morning being curious as i've still no bubbles in the airlock present and this is how it looked i'm not sure if this is normal lol.

ForumRunner_20121213_080135.png

This is how my mead gap looked

I'm not sure. My first one is a peach melomel and i haven't added the fruit yet. I'm on day 12 still bubbling 1-5 bubbles every 4-6 seconds.

It could greatly be that your air gap is four or five gallons of air. The gas has a lot of room to fill especially when opened. It looks fairly normal except usually you would see gas bubbles forming. I highly suggest buying the ingredients to make your six gallons much closer to full or a couple one gallon carboys to transfer into. It should not be ruined yet you can give the yeast a good kick start. If you transfer to one gallon mix half cup warm water with yeast nutrients to instructions on their packaging, then add in a teaspoon or two dependent on your worry of yeast and pour in with it. This should give it a boost. But if I just can't see the gas bubbles in the photo it is fine and you need to just leave it closed and let it do its work. If you go with more ingredients to fill your six gallons multiply my above suggestion by estimated gallons you have in your brewing container. As mentioned earlier I only leave about six inches between liquid and rim of carboys. This is a pretty good rule of thumb. It helps prevent overflow and still leaves desired effect with yeasties. Can always add a little water about the time you rack for aging or about the time bubbles slow to one every ten minutes or so.

Yeah i thought it was because the massive gap. There aren't massive bubbles but it definitely is bubbling a bit and letting off gas

So should I stir regularly? Once every two weeks? Two day? Not at all? XD

Thinking of adding a warm cup of water and some yeast and some more raisins and stirring can someone let me know if its a good idea and if how often i should stir and should it br viggerous or just a mixing stir

If its fermenting you can stir it but I wouldn't add to it. If its not broke don't fix it. Over the first 6 days a lot of ppl suggest adding nutrients.

At least from what I have learned on here.

If its fermenting you can stir it but I wouldn't add to it. If its not broke don't fix it. Over the first 6 days a lot of ppl suggest adding nutrients.

At least from what I have learned on here.

Ok well I just gave it a little stir. It's more fizzing and making small bubbles like a lemonade rather viggerously. I think i've got some air mixed up in their.

Can someone let me know when about it should be stirred like how often and should it be vigerous

I was told can stir it 1-2 times a day. Special during first 10 days. Then ignore it not that it hurts to stir it beyond. It's a patience game.

As far as stirring goes I don't suggest that you do it vigorously if at all. I have never heard of stirring it save for right when you make it. I have never stirred any of mine. If it is putting off gasses then I say let it go. When making mine. I only warm the water to aid in the honey dissolving. Once all ingredients are in I shake vigorously, air lock it and put it in a deep dark corner until fermentation has finished. I then rack for large sediment removal. Add some clay to aid in the clearing process re air lock and let it age until I deam fit to rack one more time to remove all sediment. I will bulk age longer yet. And then bottle.

As far as stirring goes I don't suggest that you do it vigorously if at all. I have never heard of stirring it save for right when you make it. I have never stirred any of mine. If it is putting off gasses then I say let it go. When making mine. I only warm the water to aid in the honey dissolving. Once all ingredients are in I shake vigorously, air lock it and put it in a deep dark corner until fermentation has finished. I then rack for large sediment removal. Add some clay to aid in the clearing process re air lock and let it age until I deam fit to rack one more time to remove all sediment. I will bulk age longer yet. And then bottle.

Do you ever back sweeten or do you like dry meads

jackfrost said:
Do you ever back sweeten or do you like dry meads

I don't enjoy dry meads myself though I do make a few at request for customers. I have often back sweetened. Warm water and however much honey I think needed. I have back sweetened a batch more than once at different stages as well.

I don't enjoy dry meads myself though I do make a few at request for customers. I have often back sweetened. Warm water and however much honey I think needed. I have back sweetened a batch more than once at different stages as well.

I was thinking or making a few batches of plain Mead and then back sweeten with multiple honeys and spices. Do you think that would work?

jackfrost said:
I was thinking or making a few batches of plain Mead and then back sweeten with multiple honeys and spices. Do you think that would work?

I sure do. I don't know how well the spices will take but I say give it a try! And let me know how it goes I would love to hear and possibly try it myself.

I sure do. I don't know how well the spices will take but I say give it a try! And let me know how it goes I would love to hear and possibly try it myself.

I plan on heating the (cheap) honey up to about 100 to 110 add spice back. And or fruit. Store and let simmer for an HR then cool then back sweeten my mead

jackfrost said:
I plan on heating the (cheap) honey up to about 100 to 110 add spice back. And or fruit. Store and let simmer for an HR then cool then back sweeten my mead

That sounds like an awesome plan! It sounds stable. Don't burn your honey and be sure to taste I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

That sounds like an awesome plan! It sounds stable. Don't burn your honey and be sure to taste I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Thank you for the vote of confidence think I will get started o. That tomorrow mite take one of my 1yr Meads and test it out..naw. probly start from scratch

Added 1 tsp citric acid yesterday and found out i had too much vodka for it to be able to push through the airlock. It's bubbling every 8-10 seconds now though!

I need to get some cheap vodka myself. I've been using water with just s little bit of sanitizer. I haven't had any problems.

-----snip----
Vodka is cheap -----snip-----
Not here it isn't matey.

last time I checked, the excise duty on spirits works out at about £6/nearly 10$ per bottle - and while we don't usually pay VAT/sales tax on food/food products, if it's considered "luxury" food, it gets the usual 20% on top, hence even the cheapest vodka is IRO of £11 - £12 per bottle.

Which explains why people here are less likely to use it in an airlock, but wouldn't be too bothered if it was going into a batch for fortification. An airlock evaporates, effectively wastes it, fortification preserves it so it gets drunk later on......

jackfrost said:
If you do a bit of research how spice extracts are made, you'd find that for most of the spices commonly used for flavouring like this (stuff like cloves, vanilla, cinnamon, etc), they are "extracted" by steeping in higher strength alcohol (vodka right the way up to high strength spirit like "everclear"). So it's actually usually easier to add them as whole spices, but in small amounts, given that you'd have no way of telling how powerful the flavour can be (cloves are a very good example of that). So say, 1 clove per gallon of "finished" mead, then leave it for 3 or 4 weeks and taste for spicing level. Multiple spices can be hard to work out as some of the spice flavours will mask or counteract others, so it would be best to do this one flavour at a time - of course, that makes it quite a slow process, but it's better to use too little, than to use too much (too much clove can quickly make a batch undrinkable). Once the flavour is in the batch, if you use too much, it's virtually impossible to get it out......

I need to get some cheap vodka myself. I've been using water with just s little bit of sanitizer. I haven't had any problems.

Yeah don't think it makes too much of a difference but it's a little bit better to obviously

Well I think it's more of a factor if the vodka gets into the must no harm no foul. If the sanitizer gets in eeeeew. But I have been careful.

Latest posts

Back