Stone Brewery Tour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I am visiting family in Cali this week. Got a chance to stop by the Stone Brewery and take a tour and sample a few of their beers. I know there is another thread about this but I have pictures...

On the left, this is the mash and lauter tun, the boil kettle, and the whirlpool. When I was their they were boiling Ruination, could see it in the sight tube and a guy pulled off a sample. I could tell when they started the whirlpool, smelled great!!
100_2593-2.JPG

This is their storage for the specialty malt, the base 2-row stays outside.
100_2597-2.JPG

They have quite a few fermenters.
100_2599-2.JPG

Bottle and keg storage.
100_2600-2.JPG

Cleaner, sanitizer anyone?
100_2605-2.JPG

Got to go into the large cool storage, a lot of good beer in there, not only Stone. In order to make sure their beer was being represented properly they started their own distribution company. The distribute for many of the micro/craft breweries in the area (Paulaner too).

After the tour we got to taste their Pale Ale, Smoked Porter, IPA, Arrogant Bastard, Anniversary Ale, and I talked them into letting me try some Ruination. My parents were there too and thought they all tasted pretty bitter so I had theirs too, needless to say I was a bit tipsy when I left.

After we left Stone we drove the ~3 miles to Lost Abbey brewery. They are obviously much smaller. I tasted all their Lost Abbey beers, my parents had their Amigo Lager (Corona). Didn't take any pictures, but it was very funny that my dad and sister commented on how it smelled funny their and was not very clean, dust over everything, and some wet barley sitting out open. I laughed and explained that they do all that on purpose.

Stone is having a tasting of some of their special Smoked Porters Wed, night. If I can talk my mom/sister into DD I am going. $6 for a pint glass and fill, $3 for refill...vanilla bean, chipotle, oak aged (served on cask), and brandy barrel aged.

You took better pictures that me. They have a real great setup there and the beers are great. I went to a grain handling presentation that day and we had 4 pitchers of beer. Now that I am home I have Stone brews moved to the top of the brewing list.

Whelk said:
I am so, so jealous. I hate you California guys. :D

I am not from California, just visiting family. I am jealous too, trying to drink as much as I can while I am here and take some back.

ohiobrewtus said:
Danggggggggggg.. those are some sweet pics. Thanks for posting these!
I was actually disappointed by the pictures. They don't really show the whole story, it was a large group on the tour and I was trying to take pictures without people in them and stay with the tour. I am here for a week, I might have to go back not on the weekend:D

I took some in the huge beer cooler, but they all came out blurry, must have had something to do with quick change in temp.

Oak aging and you can't see but over to the left there were some carboys filled with some experiments I am sure. If it had been a smaller tour I would have asked.
100_2601-2.JPG

Stack o'kegs
100_2602-2.JPG

the Lost Abbey/Pizza Port Brewery is the old Stone brewery. It's amazing how much bigger Stone's new place is compared to their old place.

Yeah....the new location is definitely amazing. They might as well have a petting zoo.

Beerific-

Did they talk much at all about how they get that awesome aroma in their IPA? Is it just good ol' fashioned dry hopping, or is it something *extra*?

ScubaSteve said:
Beerific-

Did they talk much at all about how they get that awesome aroma in their IPA? Is it just good ol' fashioned dry hopping, or is it something *extra*?

Not that I remember. I think he said they whirlpool hop and dry hop. They were whirlpooling when I was there, smelled great.

Beerrific said:
I took some in the huge beer cooler, but they all came out blurry, must have had something to do with quick change in temp.

With my amateur photography background I can tell you that unless you had condensation on your lens it was most likely movement while snapping the picture. As long as the lens is clean you should be able to take perfectly clear pictures at any temp. Were there fewer lights in the cooler?

The key is the shutter speed. 1/60 sec is about as slow a shutter speed as you can have and still be able to hold it by hand, maybe 1/45 if you have a REAL steady hand. Try and get 1/90 sec shutter speed or faster to really be able to snap a picture of immovable objects without worrying about blur. The way to do that is make sure the aperture is open as wide as it will go (the lower the aperture number, the wider open it is).

I bet you had your camera set on full auto function, maybe in a Portrait mode. If you have different named modes, try setting it to Sport or Action mode, something like that, because that will optimize for shutter speed. If your camera doesn't have named modes but rather P/S/A/M, set it to S = Shutter, and change the fraction to 1/60 or 1/90 (or better if it will let you).

And don't bother with flash when taking pictures at that distance. Unless you have an external flash unit your flash is probably designed to be effective within 15-20ft of the camera, so something 50ft away isn't going to light up anywhere near enough for the flash to make a difference on the exposure.

I hope that helps you take better pictures if you decide to go back and take the tour again! :mug:

I live at Stone... actually my mother in law does, 1 exit down. When I go I usually fill my pickup bed with a case each of all there beers. $$$$$ but worth every penny. Stone actually uses a hop back on all there IPA and Ruination. It is roughly a little larger than a 55 gal drum and is force fed the beer through o2 pressure . All lines are stainless of course, and out comes a beautifull thing.

Great pictures. I met Greg K while I was there. The pix are part of my profile. In fact I was wearing my New Belgium shirt and he didn't even say a thing.

I had a two person tour when I went last Spring and I was so busy drooling upon myself that I didn't think to ask a single question. I will have to get there again soon.

My parents live in Carlsbad/San Marcos. Though the brewery recently moved from San Marcos to nearby Escondido, it's still only about a 10 minute drive up 78 that I'm more than happy to make every time I'm visiting the 'rents. I can't get enough of that place.

Their new restaurant is AMAZING, though a bit difficult to find the first time since it has practically no external markings.

I'll be at the New Years party there again this year. Anyone else going?

Back