final gravity for sweet mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless it has completed fermentation it is not really safe to bottle without worrying about the pressure.

Let it completely ferment then stabilize it and back sweeten. Honey has a gravity of 1.445 so, on average, between 1 and 2 cups will raise your gravity .01 for 5 gallons. So if your mead has a FG of .996 and you have stabilized, adding about 1 cup of honey should take you to 1.06! Hope this helps. If you let me know the batch size and the FG and where you want it I can be more precise.

4 gallons, well its about three now I just racked about a gallon off on to some blueberries. I think the 3 gallons might have a stuck fermentation. I made this in march. I used about 4qt's of honey, also yeast energizer and yeast nutrient. my hydrometer broke while preparing the must so I dont have a O.G reading but now the gravity is 1.030 and has been for about a month. I guess maybe I am being impatient but it tastes good and I would like to get it in a bottle.

killian said:
4 gallons, well its about three now I just racked about a gallon off on to some blueberries. I think the 3 gallons might have a stuck fermentation. I made this in march. I used about 4qt's of honey, also yeast energizer and yeast nutrient. my hydrometer broke while preparing the must so I dont have a O.G reading but now the gravity is 1.030 and has been for about a month. I guess maybe I am being impatient but it tastes good and I would like to get it in a bottle.

If you made this in March I would think the fermentation is completed. If it's clear just stabilize with some pot sorbate and some campden and I believe it will be fine to bottle. I believe with a 4 gallon batch you should have had about a 1.1 OG and with present reading would take you right at 12%.

Back