Picking a yeast to fit a Grand Cru

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputyandy

Reaction score
I'm brewing AHS's Belgian Grand Cru next weekend http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...d=393&osCsid=e27f8ce55c5461d273bcbb5db579c9b9

I wasn't sure when the kit would arrive via UPS, so i didn't opt for purchasing the yeast from AHS so if i wanted to make a starter it would be ready in time for brewing on saturday. I can pick up yeast from my LHBS and go from there.

Anyway, AHS suggests WLP500 (Chimay i think). I've been thinking about experimenting with the recipe and using a different strain. I have limited experience with all the different yeasts out, but Wyeasts Forbidden Fruit and Belgian Ardennes both seem appealing. Anyone offer any idea on how these yeasts would match this kit? I'm looking for a slight tart, crisp, clean strong golden ale.

3463 or 3522 would both be good choices.

The Forbidden Fruit gets it's name because of a nice fruity flavor. I have used it several time for wheat beers with orange and coriander and it is one of my favorites.

3522 is a l little cleaner without big flavor but is very nice. I use it for a Belgian Blonde I brew and like that brew.

I like them both and would not hesitate using either one.

Try them both at some time and decide which flavor profile you like.

I think either of those yeast will be good choice. I like the idea of splitting batches and trying both.

I think I'm leaning towards the ardennes for a strong golden style type rather than the wit type. I'm debating how much to pitch. I know under pitching can make some nice belgian esters but with a higher og I think I have to make a decent size starter.

Back